Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredvilleallsta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2013, 01:35 PM
    Can my daughter who is on antibiotics get sick from another child with fever?
    My daughter has been on antibiotics since last Monday for respiratory infection. We had plans to go yo some friends house to watch kc game tonight but just found out their daughter has fever. Her mom said my daughter should be fine since she is already on antibiotics... wondering if that is true?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 29, 2013, 02:25 PM
    NO, it isn't. Antibiotics treat ONLY bacterial infections. Colds and the flu are viral infections, which have no cure.
    On the other hand, your daughter may only have a viral infection, and was given antibiotics simply because too many doctors hand them out easily when they shouldn't. The virus runs it's course and people think the antibiotics worked.
    I'm not saying she doesn't have a bacterial infection, just that she isn't immune to anything.
    So - get a babysitter or stay home.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2013, 05:52 PM
    No, the mother has no idea what she is talking about. A mother should never have child with a fever should not be around other children.

The reason schools normally send children with fevers home
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2013, 06:27 PM
    No, you daughter isn't safe from this other child. Antibiotics don't prevent you from getting sick, they're supposed to cure what you already have. Just because she's on antibiotics doesn't mean she can't catch something else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One yr old puppy sick with fever [ 2 Answers ]

14 month miniature Australian Shepard / german short hair pointer she is sick 2 days, feels hot with fever at times, at which time I feed her ice and cool her. She is drinking fine but as of today will not eat. She is weak and wobbly with times of being lethargic. Being Sunday I can not get her...

Daughter has fever and rash [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is running a low grade fever and now she is covered with a rash. What could this be?

What if every night I have sick but in day I don't have?and also I have a fever [ 1 Answers ]

What if every night I have sick but in day I don't have?and also I have a fever and cough for more than one week and one day?

I was sick whilst taking antibiotics, will they work? [ 7 Answers ]

I was prescibed co amoxilav antibiotics for a sinus infection. On the first day of taking the tablets I was sick 3 times, does this mean the course wold be ineffective? Finishes the antibiotics 2 days ago and feel terrible again. Really blocked up, dizzy, hearing loss and horesness. Can anyone...

Two year sick with fever [ 2 Answers ]

My two year old daughter has been running a fever at night for like 2 or 3 nights along with a cough. Her father and I are able to keep the fever down during the day but it spikes again at night. Well I took her to the emergency room yesterday because she wasn't feeling good and looked horrible....

View more questions Search