Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patpat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2005, 02:12 PM
    10 years later... bankruptcy
    We filed bankruptcy over 10 years ago. Part of the debt was a student loan from my husband. We had not heard a word for over actually 11 years when out of the blue comes a letter from the U. S. Dept of Ed demanding over $20,000 on a $8,000 loan. When we objected and asked for time it was sent out to "their" collection department for the fee of over $4000.00!!
    They did give us one week to come up with $12,000 and they would write off the rest of the amount due.

I had a lawyer, a bankruptcy judge, all the forms that were sent out and creditors had X number of days to object, etc, etc. If a judge dismisses the debt how can they come back years later? Is the federal government exempt from the rules and laws that they have put in place to govern everyone else? We have worked hard and had decent credit, now this is reported as a debt that is years late... and we can not get a $1.00 loan.

Any ideas or just plain help would be greatly appreciated.

Patti
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2005, 06:55 PM
    You need to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer asap. The chapter 7 bankruptcy law changed several years ago and made student loan debts non-dischargeable debts. Prior to that change in the law, a student loan was only dischargeable if it was more than seven years old at the time of filing.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Sep 20, 2005, 07:54 AM
    You, that was 1998 I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy. I listed all creditors. The trustee had a meeting of creditors. My X- husband showed up contesting my having him on the list of creditors (it was not for spousal support, but some common bills) The Trustee threw him out as he was not very polite. My Bankruptcy was granted...

Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I was recently contacted by a collection agency regarding a debt owed to a school. To clarify, this was not a student loan. My bankrupcty was discharged on August 30th 2005. She stated that it was in their file as being discharged on this date. However, she still insisted on...

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the difference is now that the bankruptcy laws have changed? What exactly has changed that would prevent a person from getting a say... Chapter 7 now as compared to before the law changed. This would be for the state of PA. Thanks for any help.

Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Can a person file bankruptcy from jail? Can they file on their own(Pro Se)? What county to file in--/the county of imprisonment or where the debts were incurred? Are fines, costs, and restitution dischargable? If someone had power of attorney for the one filing from prison, if possible, could...

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering after a person files chapter 7 bankruptcy even though its on your credit for a very long time, what's the average on being able to obtain loans from banks or other sources?

View more questions Search