Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodman98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2013, 07:22 PM
    Garnishment of SSDI for alimony in Florida
    Can my Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) be garnished for alimony? In my circumstance, I divorced in 1996 when I was still on active duty in the military. I divorced in 1997. I was not disabled while married or at the time of the divorce. I started receiving SSDI in 2012. The divorce was in Florida. Shouldn't my SSDI be classified as my separate property and not a marital asset. All of my income is from VA compensation and SSDI.
    If there is an order by the judge to garnish my SSDI, what can I do to stop the garnishment?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Dec 31, 2013, 04:24 AM
    Can my Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) be garnished for alimony?
    Yes, it can be garnished.
    Shouldn't my SSDI be classified as my separate property and not a marital asset.
    Marital assets have nothing to do with alimony.

You should ask for alimony's reduction based on change of circumstances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does receiving alimony effect my SSDI benefits? [ 8 Answers ]

I am in the process of an "ugly" divorce. I am disabled and receiving SSDI currently. It was taxable when I was married due to my husband's income. My "ex" will have to pay me some alimony, but I am concerned, will this alimony take away from my social security disability benefits, because is it...

Divorce, alimony and SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently progressing through a divorce. My spouse receives SSDI and subsequestly so do my two minor children. My spouse is petitioning for child support, maintenance, any extra costs associated with the children including tuition fees, clothing, etc. First, generally, how will the...

Bank garnishment in Florida of SSDI direct deposit? [ 3 Answers ]

A Florida bank held for a couple of days then took my SSDI direct deposit to pay internal bank fees.Is this legal

SSDI Garnishment laws [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently been approved for SSDI. Less than 30 days of the approval, the Dept of Education is already starting 15% garnishment action. My question is this: I also owe the IRS. Can they EACH garnish my SSDI for 15% for a total of 30% or is 15% the TOTAL amount of garnishment allowed under the...

SSDI Child Support Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

If I received 970 a month from ssdi and my child support order is for 940.00 a month how much of my ssdi can be garnished for this in Calif. Thank You Robin

View more questions Search