Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anjan_ece Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2013, 09:48 AM
    Joined in December on H1B visa- can I get the tax refund?
    Hi,
    I have joined a company in USA in December 1st week.
    In my first pay check I see lot of tax being deducted by the company (I got some relocation bonus etc).
    Since my stay in USA for 2013 is less than a month , will my tax be refunded.

Thanks in advance.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 2, 2014, 08:08 AM
    Most likely you will get a substantial refund. If you get everything back depends on the amount of your income.
    When did you come exaclty to the US?

You are a non-resident alien and would file form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. If your earned income is less than the personal exemption (which is $3900), you will receive a refund of all your withheld income taxes. Note that social security and medicare taxes are not refunded.

You can also claim moving expenses asa non-resident alien if you qualify:
    Publication 521 (2013), Moving Expenses

If you income is higher than the personal exemption/moving expenses and you were in the US 31 or more days in a row in December/November, you could wait to file your return unti lyou are a residnet alien in 2014 and then use the first year choice. Publication 519 (2012), U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens
    That would make you a dual status alien for 2013: Taxation of Dual-Status Aliens
    And if you are married, you can then choose to be treated as resident aliens for the entire year and file a joint return, but you would have to report worldwide income.

I would assume that filing as non-resident alien plus using moving expenses, you should be able to get a full refund
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 01:27 PM
    TaxForAliens has covered all pertinent issues if you are single.

If you are MARRIED, please let us know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can H1b visa get cancelled if I resign the job and not joined in another job [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I have been working for company A and due to some issues I may be forced to resign the job ,Will they cancel the Visa once I resign the job and it will take some time for me to get some other company .So transferring the visa at this time is not possible... My visa is valid till 2011.Please...

On H1b, wife and Kid joined me recently and need to get tax exemption for them. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in Oct -06 alone. My wife and kid were in india till Mar-07 when they came here. I filed my tax returns individually thinking that they are not eligible for tax exemption. My friends told me that they can be included now and I can apply for tax amendment. My earning were $10000...

Forms for Tax Refund for H1B visa Holder in the USA [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a H1B visa holder since Sept 2005, I received a refund using an international company last year but didn't receive my refund until over 6 months later. I would like to file for myself but am unsure what forms to use. The folks in H+R Block had no idea what would be different with my...

H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife [ 1 Answers ]

I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine. I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006. For getting ITIN for my wife I...

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

View more questions Search