Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike2185 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2013, 06:40 PM
    Taxes for Amazon and Ebay sales.
    "I want to begin a legitimate business online for reselling items on eBay and Amazon. Obviously I want everything to be legitimate and want to pay or report all necessary tax information when the time comes. How do I go about doing this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2013, 07:31 PM
    Keep correct records of cost of items, cost of business expense. Then record income and figure profit.

You will pay taxes on the profit.

You may want to talk to an book keeper or accountant on some simple steps
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
    If you have no employees, you can just be yourself, a sole proprietor.
    Get a sales tax ID from your state tax or revenue dept.
    Collect sales tax on sales shipped to your state only, for now (laws keep changing). Your state will provide instructions for when to pay.
    Track all INCOME and all EXPENSES.
    Print out forms from IRS.gov for next January, a long form 1040, Schedule C, and Schedule SE. They are easy to fill out and pretty self-explanatory.

Nobody wants taxes on used items around the house, unless it's a full time operation like a second hand or antique shop. Many sellers start that way for experience. There is a lot to learn. All the ins and outs of shipping are vital. There are MANY ways to make mistakes, be scammed, or to simply cost yourself more than you make.
    gettingoldquick Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2013, 01:25 AM
    Helpful addition on consumer end of things (I've recently been claiming out-of state purchases, during my annual, February trip to H&R Block.)
    We pay the consumer taxes for ebay/amazon items, at the end of the year.
    This is done as a verbal & well educated, guess(no receipts).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 27, 2013, 04:16 AM
    I can't make any sense out of the last response. And there is no room on a tax return for guessing, with no receipts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file sales tax as an Amazon seller? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find an accountant that specializes in online selling for small businesses? I don't know how to files sales tax and it appears to be very complicated. I sell on Amazon and ship my contents to their warehouses. My understanding is that I have to pay sales tax on items purchased from...

Can I sell things online (Amazon, my own website or ebay) with a J2 visa EAD? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi. I have the visa J-2 and just 1 week ago I can start working because I receive the work permit from USCIS. I have read that with a J2 visa, I can start my own business but I cannot work for it (unless an American Citizen is willing to sponsor me for the H-1B visa). I would like to work...

F-1 Student with eBay income, unpaid taxes or voided status? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to this site; hopefully people will help me out on this one. :) All right, firstly I'm a citizen of China PRC and I am on an F-1 visa studying undergraduate courses here in the US. I'm also a permanent resident of Canada. In my spare time, I sometimes use eBay to...

View more questions Search