Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gautamkhetrapal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2013, 08:05 PM
    Tax filing status - Married filing jointly or separately, without spouse's SSN
    Hi,

I have a query regarding income tax return filing status - to be filled as Married filing jointly or separately.

I came to San Jose, CA, US in May 2013 & will be going back to India in Jan 2014. I am married & have 1 year old son. My wife & baby travelled to US just for 5 weeks, but unfortunately could not apply for SSN due to federal shutdown in Oct 2013.

Please suggest whether it will be possible to avail married tax benefits while submitting income tax return without having spouse's SSN.

Thanks,
    Gautam
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 01:07 PM
    Gautam,

I have answered your email, but will post that answer here (in part) for general consumption.

YOU have met the Substantial Presence Test, and therefore are eligible to file JOINTLY with your wife and CHOOSE to be treated as residents for all of 2013. However, your wife MUST submit Form W-7 and apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) AND you must declare ALL income (yours and your wife's) earned in 2013, be it in the United States or India. You can use the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) to offset any double taxation on the India-sourced income.

Unfortunately, your son has NOT meet the Substantial Presence Test, so you CANNOT claim him as a dependent on the 2013 tax return.

To get an ITIN from India, you must make a clear color photocopy of your wife's passport and have the Indian government certify the photocopy as authentic. This can be done at a local office of the Indian government agency which issues the passports. That certification, along with Form W-7 and the signed joint tax return, must be mailed to Austin, Texas for processing.

The alternatives is for you to mail the IRS her passport for authentication (highly NOT recommended, as the IRS will hold the passport for at least three months and may even lose it).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS Tax Returns - Married (Filing Jointly) - Spouse has no SSN/ITIN number [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I was in United States during 2011 on L1 Visa and came back to home in August 2011. I missed to get her ITIN or SSN during our stay. Now when I file my IRS returns as "Married-Filing Jointly", it ask for SSN of my wife. Is there any way to get it filed jointly? Or any other forms to be...

Is spouse SSN/ITIN required for filing tax as "Married but Filing Seperately" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India. In 2010, I worked in US on H1B from 01-Jan-2010 until 01-Apr-2010.Effective 02-Apr-2010 I moved out of US. On 31-JAN-2010 I got married but my spouse(citizen and resident of India)never travelled to US even though she had an approved dependent VISA. Saying this ,...

Filing status: married jointly or separately [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in 2008 but my wife is currently living in Vietnam, until her immigration status changes. Do I need to file my tax returns as married jointly or separately, she does earn any income and does not have a US social security #?

Married Filing Jointly but spouse doesn't have SSN , She has ITIN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , Am trying to file my 2007 tax returns online through Turbo tax and I intend to efile. Now am filing as " Married Filing Jointly". Since my wife is on an H4 Dependent visa, she can't get a SSN . She has her ITIN though. Now the site doesn't allow me to file my taxes without her SSN. Please...

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

View more questions Search