Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcarroll7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2005, 01:25 PM
    Dryer works intermittently
    My Kenmore dryer stopped working mid-cycle during a heavy laundry load (lots of jeans). You could push the START button, but it would only hum but not move. My husband opened it up, found some rubber bands that were keeping the dryer drum from turning. It then worked - for one load. On the second load, which was another heavy load (some towels), it stopped again. We have the same situation - hum but not moving.

The fact that we got it to work again (for one load) tells me the switch works, the motor is OK, the sensors work, etc.

What can we do to fix this? Should we just get a new dryer?

Thanks for any help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2005, 02:14 PM
    The motor could have a dead spot in it. Turn it on, and give the drum a little push, and see if it takes off. How is the dryer in general? If it mostly seems to be OK, you should consider a new motor. It may seem expensive, but compare it to a new dryer.

I just had a kit with a new belt and some other parts come today. It is for the Kenmore we bought in 1973. It endured 2 kids including cloth diapers. I found Sears Parts a little annoying to deal with and the kit was $35 with shipping. Still, I see no reason not to expect the dryer to last many more years.

Feb 15, 2005, 02:28 PM
    Motor dead spot?
    Hi,

Thanks for much for your quick reply!

I am not sure what you mean by a dead spot in the motor. It worked fine for one load after we cleared out the rubber bands and lots of lint/hairbands/money/etc. that were scattered around. Do you mean, depending on where the motor was when the dryer finished a cycle?

As to the condition of the dryer... When my husband took off the cover, he saw a lot of an oily substance that appeared to have run down the back of the dryer - oil/lubricant? He wondered if something was leaking. Other than that, it seems fine. The dryer is only 4 years old!

How would I try to turn it on but turn the drum? I guess this would have to be done with the cover off? When we press the button, nothing happens but the hum. I could try to move the drum with it off, then try to start? What do you recommend?
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2005, 05:21 PM
    I was thinking of opening the door and giving the drum a shove, but it won't run with the door open. Try turning the drum that way, to turn the motor a little, and then try starting it.

Feb 16, 2005, 05:07 PM
    Still not working
    Thank you very much for your ideas. Here are my results. I gave the drum a shove, and it started and ran for about 40 seconds. It then stopped again.

What could the problem be? Should we buy a new one? Is a new motor expensive, if that is indeed the problem? The oil/lubricant leaking, plus this, makes me wonder if repair is prudent or if we should replace?

What is your advice?
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2005, 06:23 PM
    Dryers have very few moving parts. Newer ones may not even have a mechanical timer. Otherwise you have the motor, idler pulley, 2 drum support rollers and the drum itself. I am guessing the rubber bands jammed the drum, over heated the motor running its grease out, and overheating the windings leaving dead spots. Replace the motor, keep the rubber bands out of it, and it could run for years. The motor should be a lot cheaper. Unless you are unhappy with the features it has, I would replace the motor.

Feb 16, 2005, 11:09 PM
    Makes sense to me! Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Refrigerator water dispenser intermittently working [ 229 Answers ]

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator with a ice maker and water dispenser. In the last 3-4 months the water dispenser shuts off intermittently, but comes back to life on its own. I have changed the water filter as well as cleaned the water line, but haven't been able to identify the problem. The...

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Compressor fan works intermittently [ 10 Answers ]

The compressor fan for my AC (Central Air) unit (that is located out side of the house) works intermittently. The fan comes on for few seconds and then turns off. Sometimes I can hear some noise from the compressor unit before the fan turning on. Any help is highly appreciated. Best...

Central Air works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

We have relatively new house. The central air was installed in 2001/2002. This is OUR first time using it. First thing I realized was the circuit breaker for the condenser and fan was bad, so I replaced that. The unit ran fine for a few days. Then we shut it off for a few days. When we...

Blower works intermittently for A/C [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old York furnace with central air. When turning on the A/C, sometimes the blower comes on, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it toggles off and on with a loud clicking sound. If I use the manual switch on the limit control, everything is fine, but of course, then the blower is on...

View more questions Search