Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    Yes, I worded my answer wrong. I'll give you an example. What killed the dinosaurs? No one can really tell for sure, 100% what happened. But scientists think it was a meteor. There's a crater, a scenario, an bones of extinct animals; all evidence. Yet it is uncertain what really happened.

Here is what wikipedia says about theory.

Here is an article from wikipedia about dinosaurs (scroll down to extinction).
    You just verified what I have said all along. It is all theory and they might gather information but it does not prove anything. Good try anyway.
    paradoxlie Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Apr 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Much Of The Science That We Have Are Based On Theories. What Are Theories? Theories Are Hypothesis Of What They Think Is Or Was Happening Or What Is Behind A Certain Force. Guess What Scientists Have Been Wrong Many Times And Their Theories Are Just That Hypothetical Not Proven Fact.
    OMG!! HERE HERE HELPER!! Bravo My Man... Well Said... Point... and counter point!
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Apr 3, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    You just verified what I have said all along. It is all theory and they might gather information but it does not prove anything. Good try anyway.
    But by using science, we can prove that the dinosaur extinction theory is possible. What legitimate evidence supports the theory that using a ouija board is possible.

Apr 3, 2007, 05:59 PM
    If you cannot prove something, how can you say it exists? A statement with no evidence is worth nothing. The fact is, in the real world we demand proof!

By the way, even though silly putty was used for other purposes besides recreation, you aren't proving your point. We have proof silly putty was used on spaceships. Then again, maybe you are trying to make a different point.
    The evidence, is there.. many have tried to tell you, but you can't seem to see that man... is... the evidence. What he tells you... is evidence... why are you so down on what your hearing.. from witnesses? Why do you insist that they are lying? That is basically what you are doing... calling everybody a liar, because they can't give you a template.. or a test tube, or a slide saying HERE! Believe me now?? Ever stop to think that Maybe... just Maybe... you can take your 'science'... and put it in their shoes? They have given you enuff reason... enufff pause. Why do you just keep throwing back the Prove it? How about this,, Disprove it. Got Prove it doesn't exist? Of Course you don't... Now... please. Explain That. Thanks

Apr 3, 2007, 07:38 PM
    I keep asking for proof because I have yet to hear it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 08:12 PM
    I will only add to this great converstation is that of course there are tons of evidence, but sadly those that don't want to admit anything spiritual close their minds to anything of the spiirt. There are 100's of cases of people cured by prayer, cancer disappearing and more, but they dismiss this as something else.

And since the people being effected by the evil of the board, don't know they are effected intill they are cured and healed from this evil, it does not show up like a sign to see.

But far worst is the spirit and evil of science who used mere current human understanding to limit mans ability to understand.

Before the microscope, the world of the atom was unknown and would have not be accepted by science, since there was no "proof" it doesn't ot mean the atom was not there 200 years ago, but man just did not understand it. Thus with faith, evil, and spirits, it is obvous to anyone who has dealth with them, and have seen then first hand but someone who is to narrow minded to accept those who have saw things first hand as proof, they can merely live in their controlled world

Ouija Boards Are Evil

Ouija Board

Witchboard World - Antique Ouija Board Gallery & More

The Shadowlands Ghost Sounds page
    organizedcruelty Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Universal Truth
    It's a Ouiji board! Have you ever noticed that it is sold in the board game aisle of toy stores?? They tell you not to use it alone because you need someone to push the thing around.

Paranormal activity has been related to everything but the paranormal. You can't hear things, and you can't see things. It sounds more like your family has a history of neurological concerns than a case of paranormal senses. I suggest you do what any good scientist would.... Test it. Ask it an evil question and then ask it a good question. It wouldn't hurt to have a witness either. The only way to find out is to do it yourself.

I'm an empirical learner. I don't believe in magic. I don't believe in ghosts. I believe in science, physics, biology, and math. Psychology is not a science, it's the lack of proper research and the formulation of an explanation. I think I'm going to go buy a board and do it myself.
    Alrite smartass, I asked a serious question and expect a serious answer... I don't need people like you telling me that my family and I have a neurological problem.. I don't know why you even bothered posting this seeing you don't even believe in it.. and you don't me anyway (thank God)... but anyway dude, I'll just blame it on your ignorance...

Apr 3, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxlie
    The evidence, is there..many have tried to tell you, but you can't seem to see that man....is...the evidence. What he tells you...is evidence....why are you so down on what your hearing..from witnesses? Why do you insist that they are lying? That is basically what you are doing...calling everybody a liar, because they can't give you a template..or a test tube, or a slide saying HERE!! Believe me now??? Ever stop to think that Maybe...just Maybe..... you can take your 'science'.....and put it in thier shoes? They have given you enuff reason....enufff pause. Why do you just keep throwing back the Prove it? How about this,,,,, Disprove it. Got Prove it dosent exist? Of Course you dont... Now... please. Explain That. Thanks
    Well said :)
    Universal Truth Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 3, 2007, 09:19 PM
    I'd like to draw attention to FR_chuck, by agreeing with some aspect of miraculous healing. However, lets look at the science behind it.

It is a well known fact that our attitude is affected by chemicals released inside our bodies. These chemicals are directly related to the immune response. For example you can see the article "Mood states associated with transitory physical symptoms among breast and ovarian cancer survivors." published in J Behav Med. 2006 Oct;29(5):461-75. Epub 2006 May 17.- this relates symptoms to the survivors attitude in response to a certain stimuls. It's a dull read, but a valid argument that does correlate what FR_Chuck is referring to as strange circumstances.

On a side note, as quasi promised, I have not purchased a Ouiji Board from the target located on Beach Blvd. here in Huntington beach, but I did bum one off a friend who swore to me it really worked. I proceeded to open the box when I got home from work, but the spirits failed to provide me with the intestinal fortitude to actually unpack it. Instead, I went to wendy's for some sweet dollar menu action, where I purchased my usual crispy chicken sandwich and some nuggets with BBQ sauce.

Upon returning home, I opened the box, yet again. The board resmebled a crapily laid out display of letters and numbers (yes, "crapily" is my technical term for it). I didn't bother with the instructions, seeing as how they are there just another mans opinion anyway. I placed my hand on the board and pondered the question I should ask.

I closed my eye's, tighter than a prison inmate during his first mishap with the soap. I then cleared my throat. I could feel my heart beating with a rythym so melodic I thought I was composing the percussion section of the LA phil harmonic. I began to utter, what I thought was the most important question in the world. I said "will there be a sequel to 'Snakes on a Plane'... (the... was for dramatic effect)

I waited, with my hands clamming up from the anticipation as they rested eagerly on the triangle thing, whose name I neglected to read in the discarded instruction manual. A few moments passed, with my eyes still closed. I swear I felt movement, but upon opening my eye's, my hands were in the same position they were before.

Nothing.

As with any good experiment, there must be a control. Keeping true to science, I proceeded to call my friend, who, as stated previously, swore this thing worked. I have arranged for him to come over tomorrow after work and do the same thing I did tonight, minus the trip to wendy's. I have offered to reimburse him for his troubles with beer that will be purchased from the bevmo down the street.

Until tomorrow, I can neither confirm, nor deny the claims presented by the community in this forum. Please keep in mind, that this is an actual account of my experience, your experience may have been perceived differently due to the differences in attitudes; and the differences in our bodies chemistry. I encourage you all to draw your own conclusions and not take mine as fact. This is an isolated experiment, and will be considered a case study. I will however report my findings, as truthfully as possible. Until tomorrow...

Apr 3, 2007, 09:21 PM
    If you cannot prove something, how can you say it exists? A statement with no evidence is worth nothing. The fact is, in the real world we demand proof!

By the way, even though silly putty was used for other purposes besides recreation, you aren't proving your point. We have proof silly putty was used on spaceships. Then again, maybe you are trying to make a different point.

If you can't prove something... u can't disprove it either
    Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 09:27 PM
    But then part of it is that you did not expect or want it to work.

This is what divides faith, since in many things faith is a required aspect of all things spiritual

Apr 3, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by organizedcruelty
    if you can't prove something...u can't disprove it either
    Science agrees that nothing is impossible, however certain things are highly improbable. It's the goal of science to prove things, not disprove them. If you can prove there is a paranormal activity involved in perception, then I will "believe" it. On the other hand, if you can't prove it, you should have the same integrity to admit that there is a possibility of it not being true.

I never said I don't believe there is a chance a Ouiji board could contact spirits. I merely argue that there is no proof, and thus is subject to being a red herring. I also doubt an argument would hold up in court, if for example, a child purchased a board and was plagued by evil spirits.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Apr 3, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Please heavenly father allow this blog to be a inspiration to you and allow the holy spirit to instruct this person in the proper way!
    Nuff said sry! Had to do that!
    Frank

Apr 4, 2007, 07:16 AM
    “Everything which pertains to the human species, considered as a whole, belongs to the order of physical facts. The greater the number of individuals, the more does the influence of the individual will disappear, leaving predominance to a series of general facts dependent on causes by which society exists, and is preserved.” — Quetelet.

I thought this would be a relevant quote for the discussion.

Apr 4, 2007, 11:50 AM
    apparently, the vote is a majority.... BURN IT... leave it alone. Science isnt a valid source of opinion in a case of spiritual matters
    True... true, but I didn't say ignore it... just that it isn't valid... sorta kind of.. :D

Apr 4, 2007, 01:54 PM
    true...true, but i didnt say ignore it...just that it isnt valid...sorta kinda...? :D
    What the hell is with you! You make absolutely no sense! Throughout this whole post you haven't made much sense.

Apr 4, 2007, 02:52 PM
    So lets assume that God creates a spiritual world, aside from the laws of physics and science. What then are we afraid of? If it is not subject to the laws which govern our existence, then we would not be able to feel, or observe any of their outbursts. We are limited by the physical universe, and thus our spirituality is subject to scientific scrutiny.

If we assume that spirits are subject to the laws created by the universe, then we should, by scientific definition, be able to quantify their presence in some measurabe way. Hearing stories of someone who knows someone who heard of things being true are bordering urban legends, and are not quantifiable.

My point being, that if you believe something to be true, you will not evaluate it unbiased. It is true that science is based on approximations and theories like evolution, but gravity is a theory as well. Do you deny it's existence, even if it was defined as a supernatural force? We can't prove gravity, but we can guess what it is based on science. In the same sense, we can't prove spirituality, but we can definitely give it the old college try.
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Let me see, someone who knows someone,

I have seen first hand, objects on my desk and on my fireplace mantle, flying off ( not fallng from vibration) but flying 4 ft or more across the room. I have seen first hand, regular shadows of a persons shape cross the window on regular basis, ( would check at once and no one there)
    There would be frequent smells of pipe smoke in a non smoking house, with all windows sealed. The inside motion detectors could not be used in the main area because something set them off.

And I have been present when a person with Rocky Mountain Spotted fever was being treated in the ER, elders of the church was praying and the spots just started to go away.

And I can go on with more. The idea that there is not a spirit world is not even a choice since I know it is real since I have been a personal witness to the activity. As have millions of others, it is just that science does not want to take this type of proof as valid.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 05:47 PM
    The Ouija Board Mystery Solved

Mention the words Ouija Board and most people will freak out because they associate those words with ghosts and spirits.

So how does a Ouija Board work? What makes the pointer move? Involuntary unconscious movement. What is purely physiological, however, appears to some to be paranormal. In other words, if you believe this stuff and are trying to get the spirits to answer questions, and you ask a question that you already know the answer to, the odds are that your own hands will do the rest by spelling out your answer.

Try this simple blindfold experiment. If it was spirits, they would be able to guide your hands no matter whether you can see or not. But if it is you doing it unconsciously, then the blindfold will prevent you from getting an answer to your question, because you can't see the board!

This experiment has been carried out and it has been proven that if you can't see the board the message will be nonsense.

It's your own fear, and that of the others around the table, that sends the pointer spinning out of control - due to unconscious confusion coming from some of the players. If you can't or won't accept this explanation, than stay clear of this ADULT GAME because it will only freak you out.

Apr 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
    I can tell already no one will change their mind. How about we reach an agreement. This is just a proposal. This would be an answer to the original question.

It is unlikely that your ouija board will do anything harmful to you, granted that it is a toy model and not necessarily authentic. Having a more authentic ouija board may change results.

It's somewhat of a compromise. Take it or leave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm thinking about using a ouija board... [ 16 Answers ]

Me and my two friends did one two days ago but we didn't do it right and I looked it up on the website and I now know how to do it. I was just woundering what everyone would say about it though, as I have heard that they aren't always safe! I have tried talking out loud but that didn't work...

Does anyone have a ouija board story? [ 127 Answers ]

I have heard some pretty scary ouija board stories in my time. I want to know if anyone has heard of any?

How To Solve The Ouija Board Mystery [ 5 Answers ]

Want to join me in a Ouija Board discusion? Check out this page and let me know what you think - Ouija Board Blindfold Experiment The Straight Dope Mailbag: The Straight Dope Mailbag: How does a Ouija board work?

View more questions Search