Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shticky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Relinquishing parental rights
    The father of my children is not involved with them at all. Lives in a different state and rarely even calls and never paid child support. How can I go about having him giving up his rights? We have discussed this when he called 4 months ago. Just don't know how to go about it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Hello shticky:

I don't know why you're so interested in satisfying this dead beat. I think you ought to be looking out for your child rather than him. In fact, if you're interested in going to court, I think you should be there suing his butt off for child support - not letting him out of his responsibilities.

Ok, he's not going to be father of the year. But you can make him pay like one. What?? You're rich? You don't need money to feed your kids?? I think you do.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 08:00 AM
    I agree with excon here. Even if your ex does terminate his parental rights, he still has to pay child support. Why isn't he paying child support? There are agencies that can help with that - SupportKids is just one agency that goes after the deadbeat dads - Child support collection, Collect your child support: Supportkids
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 08:09 AM
    You don't make him give up his rights... you fight for the kids rights! They have the right to be supported by both parents. They have a right to have some involvement with their father - no matter how little time he takes, you should not cut it off unless he is abusive, and even then, as long as it is supervised it, too, should be encouraged!

Children from broken marriages often grow up feeling like it is their fault somehow. They often suffer from poor self esteem, too. Adding a father who doesn't visit or call is damaging enough, but one who relinquishes all rights to them can be devastating!

I really think you should be pushing for the support, because it gives the kids a sense that 'daddy does care about me'. I would continue to encourage phone calls in the very least... even if you have to pick up the phone and make the call once a week yourself, then put the kids on. I would also tell them that maybe it's difficult for daddy to see and talk to them because it makes him miss them so much when he is so far away. This way, you are not harbouring hatred, and they are less inclined to think it's them. Over time it may just have a positive effect, but at least your children will learn for themselves that it wasn't mommy's fault or their fault... they will know that their dad is just incapable.

I'm not sure, because I am not familiar with the laws in your area, but I think you would have to remarry and your spouse would have to be willing to adopt your children in order to have your ex give up his paternal rights. I only think this should be done in very extreme cases where children need to feel safer because of parental abuse though.

Hope this helps,
    Didi
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 08:13 AM
    I will agree with everyone else, first why give up rights, he does not use them anyway. What you need to do is sue for your child's rights, he deserves the child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 9 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the father of the child wants nothing to do with it. He is willing to relinquish his parental rights because he doesn't want to pay child support. He keeps telling me that his lawyer is preparing the proper documentation but I don't believe him. Can he relinquish his rights...

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 26 Answers ]

I am a 35yr old mother with 4 children. My oldest of 11yrs has never known his father, this was by his choice. I have asked his father if he'd be willing to relinquish his rights as his father and he agreed since he never sees him anyway. Now my question is, how can we go about doing this without...

Relinquishing parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks Scott but I would prefer to do it now and get it over with. I have no problem with being held responsible for the financial obligation but I feel this decision is best for all involved.

Relinquishing parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how lengthy the process for relinquishing your parental rights and if you still have to pay child support after wards... we live in Mississippi

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a father of two children in the state of Virginia. At this time I will need to relinquish my parental rights to their mother. Please advise the first steps in this process. Thanks, CB

View more questions Search