Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bishoplane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2013, 02:17 PM
    Electrical circuit failure
    I have a group of wall receptacles (approx 10) that are not working. The circuit breaker is not tripped. The circuit breaker has not failed. In fact, all the CBs on the main panel test out OK. None of the receptacles has a GFCI. What can I do next to determine the problem?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 21, 2013, 03:02 PM
    Do you know if the outlets are wired back to a junction box or is it a chain of outlets with power fed into first one, then out to the next, etc? Either way, you need to find your first point so you can inspect the connections there. Is any of the wire access able to trace, i.e.. Drop ceiling ?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 21, 2013, 09:02 PM
    Okay,

Other than the receps not working, how have you determined "what" the failure is?

Have you used a multimeter to see if there is voltage at any of the receps?

Have you verified, with a meter, that there is voltage at load side of the breaker?

Can you give us anything more than, "It's broke?"
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 22, 2013, 04:04 PM
    First, reset all single breakers that could possibly control this circuit. Some breakers do not move very much when tripped. This will insure that the breaker is reset even if it doesn't looked tripped.
    Next, pull one of the non-working outlets and see if it was wired using the "quick connect" holes in the back. These are know to develop bad connections over a period of time.
    If wired using quick connect holes, rewire putting wires under screws. The bad connection can be at the first non-working outlet or switch, or it can be at the last working outlet or switch on that circuit. The bad connection can also be in the hot or the neutral. Do a voltage check between the hot and the ground. If you meter shows voltage, the bad connection is in the neutral. With that knowledge you can then determine which breaker controls the circuit.
    If after rewiring the nonworking outlets, they still do not work, you will have to try to find last working outlet on that circuit and rewire it. If you can determine which breaker controls this circuit, turn it off and take note of what outlets do not function. That should point you to the last working outlet.

You can always just rewire all of your outlets and switches using the screws. Chances are that this problem will keep occurring until you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a electrical circuit wiring diagram with the following items in the circuit. [ 21 Answers ]

I have a question that I need answered. I need the folliwing circuit drawn up and emailed to me at: [email protected], before Wednesday, March 28, 2012. Thanks... It would be greatly appreciated. The circuit I need drawn up and emailed to me needs to include the following items in the...

Sears riding lawn mower electrical failure [ 6 Answers ]

I was driving my lawn tractor up a ramp into a truck. It shut down suddenly. No lights. It won't turn over at all. The fuse is OK and the battery isn't dead. Any ideas what would cause the electrical system to shut off?

Lennox control circuit board failure? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Lennox G40UH system that is not engaging the inducer motor. I swapped out the inducer and the pressure switch from the downstairs unit and I'm still not getting any power to the inducer. Is there another way to verify if the ignition control circuit board is faulty?

Circuit breaker failure without trip [ 5 Answers ]

I have a banl of lights and other itmes that went dark. I reset all circuit breakers (cutler Hammer 30 amp 1 pole) which did not correct problem. At first glance no CB had tripped, hence I reset all. Can A CB go bad with out tripping?

Electrical outlet failure [ 1 Answers ]

My outlet was working yesterday now it is not working. All the breakers are working just that one outlet is not working. Maybe it is the outlet that isn't working please help

View more questions Search