Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bobdole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2013, 01:16 AM
    I need to put a GFCI in a 3 cable outlet
    I am having a problem with an outlet. I have been replacing outlets in my old home with GFCI. I know how to do a GFCI outlet with 2 cables or 1 cable, but I have recently encountered a problem. I opened an outlet and it had 3 cables, each with two wires. All the blacks from each cable were wired into hot, and all the whites from each cable were wired into neutral. Each grouping of wires (one black group, one white group) were what I would call "spliced" together and attached onto the screws. They were attached onto both line and load for either side. I am a novice and I don't really understand what is going on here. I have attached a diagram of how the outlet was before I ripped it out. Some extra info which may be relevant: I think this outlet used to be used with a window air conditioner. It is the only outlet I have encountered so far with 3 cables and 6 wires total. None of the outlets in my home are grounded that I have found so far.

http://tinypic.com/r/fk8m8m/5
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2013, 11:14 AM
    Turn off breaker or remove fuse for the circuit, separate the splices, turn power back on and find the hot and neutral from the panel (using a voltage tester), then turn power off and install the hot and neutral on the correct terminals on the Line side of the GFCI. Use one pigtail to connect the remaining two black wires, and other pigtail to connect the remaining white wires- to the appropriate terminals on the Load side of the GFI. Re-energize and test.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 19, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Turn off breaker or remove fuse for the circuit, separate the splices, turn power back on and find the hot and neutral from the panel (using a voltage tester), then turn power off and install the hot and neutral on the correct terminals on the Line side of the GFCI. Use one pigtail to connect the remaining two black wires, and other pigtail to connect the remaining white wires- to the appropriate terminals on the Load side of the GFI. Re-energize and test.
    This assumes he wants to have the other parts of the circuit GFI protected? This is probably not the case, or maybe it is. We don't know.

Bob, why are you using GFI's? Are the circuits non-grounding?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 21, 2013, 07:07 AM
    I would think this would get needlessly expensive to go and change your outlets out for GFI. What type of devices are you plugging in to these outlets ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you put brass cable glands on Aluminimum armour cable [ 1 Answers ]

Can you put brass cable glands on Aluminimum armour cable

Can telephone cable and television cable put in one electrical conduit [ 5 Answers ]

Can telephone cable and television cable put in one electrical conduit?

Can I put outside gfci, and laundry gfci outlets together on ciruit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of redoing my basement, adding a bathroom and laundry room. I would like to have one gfci protected outlet in the bathroom, one in the laundry room, and also add one outside (through the bathroom wall), I also would like a light in the shower stall which will need to be...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

How do I install a new cable outlet from an existing cable outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have cable and want to install a new cable box on another wall? How do I fish the cable to the new location and how do I install the new cable box outlet?

View more questions Search