Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeverlyClaire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2005, 10:18 AM
    Dad needs to eat better
    My father is not eating properly since my mom died. I’m worried he’s not getting enough nutrition. I have four boys under the age of 12, so it’s not easy to keep an eye on dad while I’m at it, but was wondering what members of this group do to make sure you get all the calcium, protein, etc that you need. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

:confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2005, 02:38 PM
    Is he living alone and having to fix his own meals? If so, do you have a Meals on Wheels program in his area? If he values his independence, the program is not just for low income people. Many people, who can afford it, are happy to pay for the meals. Financial help is available if needed. Many older men never developed cooking skills, and cooking for 1 is tough without the constant reminder of losing his wife. Pills are no substitute for a good balanced meal. Too bad nobody sells a people food that would be as good for us as even the cheap dog foods are for dogs.

Getting him out to a senior center might help too.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 15, 2005, 05:03 PM
    Labman gave some good comments on the eating aspect. Another issue you need to address is giving him a "reason" to eat. Often when an elderly person looses a mate their life becomes empty and they find it difficult to go on. You need to get him involved with other people, create a social outlet for him, and give him a reason to enjoy life. Then getting him to eat want be that difficult.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2005, 08:25 PM
    Also get him into hobbies, that's a good chear them upper
    Mooshie Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
    Is he not eating, or is he just eating junk food? Big difference. I know pills aren't as good as any food, but if the guy just flat out won't eat, you might consider getting him to at least take stuff like Viactiv (calcium disguised as chewy chocolates--they're good) and maybe Emergen-C (a fizzy powder full of vitamins and minerals--the raspberry tastes great--that you just pop into 6to eight ounces of water and drink. Easy.) Both of these things taste good, can be taken at any time, and can be ingested in about ten seconds flat.
    geocar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 03:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyClaire
    My father is not eating properly since my mom died. I’m worried he’s not getting enough nutrition. I have four boys under the age of 12, so it’s not easy to keep an eye on dad while I’m at it, but was wondering what members of this group do to make sure you get all the calcium, protein, etc that you need. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

:confused:
    Last night my granddaughter stayed over with me (aged 1 year) every 60 secs she had a dry cough - I gave her tixylix cough syrup but she still caughed - she is sleeping in a mobile cot and I put a large duvet around the base to keep out draughts - do you think that she is alergic to the feathers - as soon as I took her into my bed with me she stopped caughing - both her parents are allergic to similar things?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search