Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 17, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Christmas is for children... and this year I learned so much from mine.
    I have to share this because I'm just so very proud of my kids. So very very proud.

Those of you that know me have heard me talk about my kids. You all know that Jared is a gamer, loves his xbox, wants to design games when he grows up. He also loves animals, and he's so very good with all of ours.

Sydney, my daughter, has wanted to be a vet since she was knee high to a grasshopper. Animals are her passion. She can't wait to be old enough (you have to be 16, she's 11) to volunteer at the humane society.

Well, the other day someone posted a video on fb, Hope for Paws. We watched it together. The dog got the help it needed, and went into foster care, awaiting adoption. Syd usually hates watching those videos, she hates seeing the animals in pain, this video started horrible, but had a very happy ending, so I shared it with her. Sadly, pet rescue isn't free, vets aren't free, fostering isn't free. At the end of the video they asked for a $5 donation for costs.

The man (and his lucky leash) that rescues most of these dogs, has many videos. We spent a good hour watching them. At the end, Syd turned to me and said "I get $100 from Auntie L every Christmas. I want to donate that to Hope for Paws".

I had mixed emotions. I was so proud that she wanted to do this, but she's a child, she shouldn't give up her Christmas money, we can't afford to give them a lot, and that's her money to spend on herself. So I explained that to her, explained my hesitation in allowing her to do this. She said "Mom, it's my money right? I can spend it the way I want to spend it right? I have a lot of toys, I don't need any more. I have so many pets, and they're all loved. There are other pets that aren't cared for, and they need help. Why can't I love them as much as I love our pets? Why can't I spend my money they way I want to?"

So true. I'd love to donate, but we really can't afford it. But this is Sydney's money. It's hers to do with as she sees fit, and I'm so very proud that this is how she wants to spend it.

I have talked her into keeping this closer to home, buying dog toys, cat toys, bunny toys, treats, etc. and bringing it to the humane society in our town. She loves that idea. This way she gets to actually see the animals she's helping, and she gets to pick out all the toys and stuff for them.

After hearing that his sister is doing this, Jared has decided he wants a part of it too, and will spend some of his Christmas money to buy things for pets in need as well.

They taught me a huge lesson. We're on a tight budget, but there are things we can cut back on, certain foods, pop, going out to eat, and instead of being selfish, only thinking about ourselves, we can do something for others. Not that I didn't already know this, and I've always wanted to do it, but whenever we had a bit of extra money, there was a use for it. But $5 here and there, surely I can afford that. Surely all of us can. If two kids are willing to spend all of their Christmas money to help animals, surely the rest of us can find a few dollars to help as well.

Merry Christmas. :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 17, 2013, 06:39 PM
    That's awesome...you have great kids.
    Pets Expert

Dec 17, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    That's awesome...you have great kids.
    Normally I would blush, or say "gee thanks, that's nice of you to say", and try very hard not to be vain, but in this case, I completely agree with you. :)

Don't get me wrong, they're kids, they get on my nerves on a daily basis, and there are times when I completely understand why some animals eat their young. But, overall, I have amazing kids, and I'm so very proud of who they are, and who I know they're going to become.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2013, 07:00 PM
    That is really awesome Alty!
    Pets Expert

Dec 17, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    That is really awesome Alty!
    Thanks J. Don't know what I did right, because frankly I mostly feel I'm doing everything wrong, but obviously somewhere along the way I got lucky, and raised two very amazing kids.

Either that or they're amazing despite me. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2013, 07:08 PM
    You should be very proud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change my children's last name to mine [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two wonderful boys. I have never been married and I want my boys to carry on my families name. Their father isn't apart of their lives and have not been for several years. I reside in jacksonville, Florida.

3 year old hasn't learned to talk [ 24 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old son that has not even began to talk. He knows the usual words,like . The doctor isn't saying it's his hearing. i'm at a lost. He's my first child. How can i get him to talk? I read to him i try to get him to pronounce words nothing.:confused:

Paying child support for children that are not mine what if anything can I do? [ 1 Answers ]

I was married to my ex-wife during that time we had two sons. Not long after our yongest son was born I went to prision during which time my ex wife became pregnant. When I got out of prision I filed for a divorce which she fought.( It took over three years for the divorce to come through). She had...

A friend of mine wants to write a children's book [ 3 Answers ]

:) Hi Guys, A friend of mine wants to write a children's book. She has a great imagination. And she has the characters in her head. She believes that kids would really love her characters. I am giving her all the confidence she needs like " you can pull it off, and you can do it". But...

View more questions Search