Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rben8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2013, 01:28 PM
    95 Honda Del Sol turns over but won't start
    Car has 132K. New Battery. It was idling rough at stop signs so I thought I'd pull a spark plug wire while it was running to see which cylinder was misfiring. Engine immediately stopped running and now won't restart. Seems to have no spark. Checked all fuses I could find, under hood and under dash.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2013, 05:31 PM
    If the CEL comes on for 2 seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then focus on the distributor. Usually, replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil solves the problem. Be sure to apply silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the new ICM. If the distributor cap and rotor have not been replaced in the last 60,000 miles, then this is the time to do it. High resistance in an old distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wires often fries the ICM and coil.
    rben8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Did just what you suggested. By the way, parts store can test ICM for free. It was indeed bad. Coil was weak. Solved the problem, however the original problem of idling rough at stop signs still persists. If anyone has an idea I'd like to hear it.

Much thanks to TxGreaseMonkey. Without your reply I didn't have a clue what to do.
    rben8
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 19, 2013, 12:44 PM
    Rough idle can be a number of things...The most common things to check for-

Tune up- Plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve

Build up in throttle body around throttle plate

Bad sensor- should be throwing a CEL and a code if this is the cause

Vacuum leak
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
    Only use the same NGK spark plugs that originally came in the car. I would also check the timing. Idle speed should first be set to 700 rpm. The information below on the Service Check Connector will help. If the CEL stays on, check for any codes. Afterwards, remove the 7.5A Back-up Fuse, in the under hood fuse box, for 10 seconds to clear all codes.

Service Check Connector (SCC): Reading OBD-I Codes

When the Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, it will be necessary to locate the 2-pin Service Check Connector (SCC) on OBD-I (pre-1996) Hondas. It is normally located under the dash, approximately 1 inch (2.5cm) from the right kick panel. Take a small screwdriver and carefully pry it from the rubber mount. The other 3-pin connector in the rubber mount is the Data Link Connector (DLC), which should be left alone. Jump the SCC with a paper clip, turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), and count the number of times, if any, the CEL flashes. Reference a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) chart to identify the code being displayed. The SCC is also jumped, when an induction timing light is used to check engine timing.

After troubleshooting, turn the ignition switch OFF, remove the jumper wire, and reset the ECM, by removing the BACK UP (7.5 A) fuse from the under-hood fuse box for 10 seconds. Disconnecting the BACK UP fuse cancels preset radio stations and the clock setting; therefore, they will need to be reset.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Del Sol won't start right away [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a mechanic for over 20 years. I have a honda del sol with the 1.5 I didn't start the car for a couple days and it was raining. Usually the car would start first shot. Now, when I tun the key on , it will not start until I listen and hear a relay kick on and the fuel pump run. Once...

94 Honda Del Sol won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Honda Del Sol 94 model 1.6 single over head cam v tech. When it is humid or raining my car will not start. I can turn the key on and leave it for 5 minutes or so and it will eventually start. I have replaced the distributor cap and fuel pump. Any other suggestions?

94 Honda Del Sol won't start. [ 2 Answers ]

My 94 Honda Del Sol won't start. First we thought it might be the Main Relay but that was fine. Then we thought maybe it was the fuel pump but that was fine too. I am at a complete loss and I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!!

93 honda del sol won't start [ 3 Answers ]

One day I was driving my car to the bank aprox 1 mile away and half way there my car wouldn't let the engine rev past 4000rpm ( the revlimiter is normally 7000rpm ) the car was just acking like it couldn't go and had no power. So I baby it to the bank. Once I come out of the bank the car won't...

93 Honda Del Sol won't START.. =[ [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 1993 Honda del Sol Si, I have a little problem with the ignition, I put the key in, and it beeps to let me know that the door is open, but there is a problem.. I can't turn the key, at ALL.. it won't turn a bit.. it is very solid in the keyhole, I have shaken the wheel, I have put it in...

View more questions Search