Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    08169739491 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Bearing and distance
    villagas A,B,C,D, are such that B is 4km due east of A, C is 3km due of south of B and D is 4km S 50 degree W from C. Calculate the distance and bearing of A from D.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 16, 2013, 10:18 AM
    First, draw a picture.

Second, calculate the east-west component of each of the three "steps" from A to B, B to C, and C to D. Use positive values for eastward direction and negative for westward. Add them up - this gives the total east-west distance from A to D.

Do the same for the north-south components of each step, and add them up.

Now that you have the total east-west movement from A to D and the total north-south movement as well, use Pythagoris to find the total distance from A to D. The bearing from A to D can be determined using the arctangent of the ratio of the east-west and north-south distances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bearing and distance [ 1 Answers ]

If r and s are on the same horizontal ground as the foot p of a tower pq.if the tower is 18km due north of s and 24km east of r if the bearing of q from s is 035 degree find the height pq of the tower and distance of r and s

'the bearing of c is N45W Draw diagram to represent the bearing of c [ 0 Answers ]

The bearing of c is N45W Draw diagram to represent the bearing of c

I can't solve bearing B from A. Distance AB is 13.4km. Help me... [ 1 Answers ]

A ship A is at a distancef 6.7km and at a bearing of 308 from a lighthouse. A ship B is at a distance of 803km and at a bearing of 074 from the lighthouse. Calculate the distance AB and the bearing of B from A.

What is the distance and bearing from the starting point? [ 2 Answers ]

Boat travels N 28 degrees 20 minutes E for 86 km. and then N 61 degrees 40 minutes W for 124 km. What is the distance and bearing from the starting point?

Trig word problems dealing with distance and bearing [ 1 Answers ]

A hiker travels N 33 degrees W for 15km, then turns 90 degrees and walks 12km in the direction S 57 degrees W At that time how far is the hiker from his starting point? What is his bearing from his starting point? My teacher went over this so fast and I am utterly confused

View more questions Search