Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pam263 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2013, 09:26 AM
    South Carolina laws regarding eviction
    My soon to be ex-daughter inlaw is currently living in my mother's house. My son lived there there the past 10 years but due to divorce he is living with me not by our choice. The house is in my mother's and my name. The daughter in law does not pay rent nor has she ever. My mother pays taxes and insurance on house and has since 1972. My parents built the house. Utilities are in my son's name. The only reason she is still there is because of my 3 grandsons but we need her out because 1.my mother needs to sell for health and financial reasons. 2. the master bathroom is going to collapse if we can not get in there and repair it. It is a total gut job ( but we aren't allowed in per her attorney). 3. Because of bathroom issue there are safety concerns along with mold and mildew. This is in Lexington County, South Carolina.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 16, 2013, 09:40 AM
    Since there is no lease and no rent being paid your daughter in law is considered a "month-to-month" tenant. Your mother (the owner of the property) can start eviction proceedings by giving her 30 days written notice to vacate. If after the 30 days she has not moved out your mother can then start formal eviction proceedings with the court, culminating in the sheriff forcibly evicting her if need be. However, before going this route you should consider the consequences - not only on the well-being of your grandchildren but also what recourse she may have. I take it that the divorce is not yet final - if she moves aout and has to start paying rent you can expect that her demands for alimony and child support will be higher if her rent is no longer free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction laws in South Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

How do evict someone who has no lease just a verbal arrangement in south Carolina

Eviction laws South Carolina? [ 4 Answers ]

How many day notice does a wife have to give to her husband before evicting him in South Carolina?

South carolina eviction laws? [ 1 Answers ]

My son rents a house from his uncle with no lease, just month to month. His girlfriend moved in & now has been caught cheating so he wants her out now. Can his uncle just tell her to leave or does he need an eviction notice? This is South Carolina.

Laws in South Carolina eviction notice [ 1 Answers ]

My son is loving here but is very abusive he has hurt me before he does not pay rent or work the only reason I let him stay here is because he was in jail and reahab I tried to help but I am now again scared he may hurt me he is also on probasion ?do I have to pay to file and how long before he...

View more questions Search