Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve1953 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2013, 12:40 AM
    Can the executor of an estate file a lien on property for their executors fees
    My sister filed for executor of the estate of our mother as soon as she passed away without consulting with the other 3 siblings. The estate is 5 equal shares the 4 children and the step father. The step father has a life estate in the house but now that he has remarried he will sell his share to us so we can sell the house and settle the estate. The sister that is executor will not do what it takes to get a loan to buy out the step dad and said she would just step down as executor. Then she turned around and filed a lien for her executor fees even though nothing has been done to dispose of the property. Can she do this?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 16, 2013, 05:01 AM
    How much is she wanting?
    Did she pay for any expenses out of her own money, such as burial or cremation, death certificates, etc?
    Why don't all of you, including your stepfather, just put the house up for sale? It makes no sense to buy out his share unless you all want to live there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 16, 2013, 06:07 AM
    You say she filed, do you mean she went to probate court to probate the estate? Did mom have a will? She would only have been appointed executor by a probate court and only if the other heirs did not file an objection. Unless a will specified her as executor.

If step dad has a life estate, that becomes void if he decides to vacate. He can also give that up. I don't see why he needs to sell his share or the estate buy him out, he just needs to participate in the sale.

If the sister incurred expenses as part of being executor, she can file a lien for those expenses. She will need to provide an accounting of them. And then the amount of the lien is paid at the closing of the sale.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 16, 2013, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    ... If step dad has a life estate, that becomes void if he decides to vacate. ...
    Not, in general, true. His life estate, if that's what he has, lasts as long as he does, whether he chooses to live in the house or not. He may, however, have what some places call a widow's (or in this case widower's) alottment. That may be different.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 16, 2013, 06:27 AM
    OK, I stand corrected, but that still doesn't mean that the estate needs to buy him out. If he inherits 1/5 of the house under terms of a will or laws of inheritance, then all he needs to do is sign the deed at the sale.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 16, 2013, 01:24 PM
    Scott, the stepfather's life estate has a value that's independent of his share of the estate. Why should he give up his life estate and not be paid for it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file lien against an Estate/Executor? [ 6 Answers ]

My Aunt passed away in 2001 and named 2 beneficiaries on one of her properties in CA. Since they didn't have the money to pay their share of taxes within the required one year period, I paid their share directly to the Estate. The property just sold. The Executor just told me that it’s not the...

Lien on estate property [ 3 Answers ]

Can Discover Card put a lien on a deceased womems house and stop the sell by her heirs in Tennessee?

How to file a ucc lien against a real estate property [ 2 Answers ]

How can I file a lien using ucc form against a real estate property So they can not sale it until satisfied my lien or my interest [

Are realator fees considered when establishing the value of property for an estate? [ 3 Answers ]

I am the executor for my mother's estate. Four children will inherit the estate. The estate includes some land that will be deeded to one of the children. The other children will receive additional cash instead of partial ownership of the land. I have determined the market value of the land at...

Lien against real estate property [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to file a lien on my aunts house. She is very sick and her kids (who by the way have never been around in ten years) are wanting to sell it. I am in her will, as well as the other two kids. I have spent $16,000 in repairs over the past few years to keep it rented. The rent is only...

View more questions Search