Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suzaane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Dog
    My female dog is healthy but does not eat much, she eats maybe once a day otr sometimes not even once a day. I only give her dog food and no treats until she has eaten. She is 11 months old. What can I do?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
    How much does she eat, cup wise? What kind of dog is she? Does she look thin?
    Suzaane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2013, 05:06 AM
    Half a cup to a full cup, she is a cavalier king charles spaniel, she does not look thin but I think she can put on a little but moe weight, I guess. She was spayed when she was 6 months old. Thanks for the reply.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2013, 10:59 PM
    If she is otherwise healthy it sounds like it could be the 12 month hunger strike.
    Quite a few dogs will go through this phase and it always seems to be around the 12 month old mark. I struggled with my Chinese Crested at the same age getting weight on him, he was skin and bones at one point then something just snapped and he started eating again.

It always pays to have your pup examined by a vet to rule out any other problems that may be occurring but personally as long as she is actually still eating I would just keep enticing her. I tried a multitude of different things added to my pups food, none of them worked, I essentially just had to 'wait it out'.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2014, 01:48 PM
    Evelyn, I have to ask, what part of the OP's post lead you to believe this is a sign of illness?

Based on what the OP posted it sounds like her dog has always been a picky eater. Some dogs just are. My border collie is a very light eater. He nibbles. I keep his dish out all day simply because of that. He's not one to eat a meal, he just picks at his food all day, a bite here, a little nibble there.

Now, I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't consult a vet. I think that would be a good idea, just to rule everything out, and to make sure her dog is a healthy weight. But illness? I see nothing in her post to scare her into thinking this could be an illness, or that her dog is sick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yesteraday night my house tenant dog bites me for that dog they are giving medicines [ 2 Answers ]

Yesteraday night my house tenant dog bites me for that dog they are giving medicines & injections regularly now what I need to do please tell me the what are the precautions I need to take and please do the needful in this situation

One sick dog and one healthy dog, Healthy dog quit eating [ 4 Answers ]

I have two dogs, a male bassett and a femal black lab mix. Ever since the basset got sick last week and went blind in one eye my healthy dog has quit eating. She wants outside all the time and sits at the door when not outside. The healthy dog will only eat treats and not her regular food that...

My dog ate a meat bone my dad gave him. My dog is now shaking and is lethargic [ 10 Answers ]

My dad heard on a radio show it is good to give dogs bones. So he gave my dog a meat bone and now my dog is shaking and acting lethargic. What should I do I am worried and concerned??

View more questions Search