Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 14, 2013, 07:37 PM
    Cops shooting dogs
    What is up with cops shooting family pets when they enter a home or yard? It is happening more and more everywhere. Are the cops all men who want to appear tough and really should not be cops?
    As a pet owner and animal activist it scares me. It is not just a couple of incidents. I hear of new stories on a weekly basis. They are happening in North America the most. I know to a lot of people it is only dogs but to some people, like me, they are our lives.
    Latest story
    Police shoot toothless 16-year-old family dog during no-knock raid | Police State USA

Facebook page for those interested : Mr. Policeman, Don't Shoot My Dog
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Are they entering homes with warrants, and the dogs is not under control of owner. Is the dog growling and acting in a dangerous manner.

As a post officer with some scares from "SPOT" if the dog seems as s threat, what is the officer suppose to do.

If the home is being entered due to the warrant, consider the real issue and person at fault, the person who committed the crime and caused the police to enter the first place
    Dogs Expert

Dec 14, 2013, 09:13 PM
    The warrant was for a family member who was not even in the house. They could have yelled police call your dog. They could have surrounded the house then knocked and announced themselves. That would have allowed the owners to kennel the elderly pet. The house would be surrounded so the fugitive could not escape. My dog is a good dog but I don't know how he would react to people breaking in my house yelling. If they want to arrest me fine do it but leave my dog alone and alive.
    Also there have been recent cases of them going to the wrong house and shooting a pet. One case was the cops were chasing someone and cut through a backyard. They killed the dog. The dog is doing what he is supposed to do protect his pack.
    I used to respect cops but am finding I am losing respect as most seem to want to hurt people and animals.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
    I agree with Mogrann, but I also see Chucks point. The police don't normally come to your home if you're innocent. I've done a bit of research on this, and most of the cases I found, the dog was being aggressive to police when they came to the home to arrest either the owner of the dog, or someone else living in the home.

Now, that doesn't make it right, but if there was a warrant, obviously the owner would know he's wanted. He/she didn't turn him/herself in, forcing the police to come to the home. He/she also didn't control the dog.

Having said that, there are also cases as Mogrann described, where pets of perfectly innocent people are killed only because of something someone else did. A criminal runs through my yard, the cops chase him, and they shoot my dogs because they're trespassing on my property and my dogs do what they're supposed to do and guard their turf? How is that right?

That's not right at all. Yes, they're chasing a criminal, but I'm not a criminal, and you're coming onto my fenced property, where my dogs go to play and potty, and you shoot them because you're trespassing? NO! Not right at all! Not even remotely okay, and you can bet that I'd be suing them until the day they die.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 06:02 AM
    Hello m:

Truly, I HATE cops. It's not getting better either.. I hate 'em MORE and MORE each passing day.

You do too. You just don't wanna admit it.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 06:33 AM
    I dont hate cops. But in the same breath I dont trust them. They have gotten more and more out of hand. We have every right to fear the government and to monitor them just as much as they monitor us.

Should police shoot a dog during a raid? If they feel threatened yes. But that doesnt make it right.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Hello again, dad:
    Should police shoot a dog during a raid? If they feel threatened yes. But that doesnt make it right.
    If the cops are trying to arrest a DANGEROUS FELON, then shoot the damn dog..

But, MOST raids are perpetrated against NON VIOLENT drug offenders like people growing a few pot plants...

Sorry, dad. You didn't convince me. I HATE 'em with a passion.

excon
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 07:28 AM
    My issue is people are saying it is okay as they are their with a warrant... What law did the dog break to deserve death? How is this the dogs fault? I will say again if armed people come rushing in your house with no notice guns drawn. What do you expect the dog to do? What is the difference between a home invasion and cops serving a warrant? How does the dog know it is okay? The owners of the dog have seconds to get their dog away, if the cops will allow them to kennel the dog.
    Sorry that Facebook page I have linked has lots of stories of police refusing people the right to take the dog away, shooting dogs in front of kids, shooting dogs when they break in the wrong house, after shooting trying to hide the dog, throwing a dog downstairs.. and more. Go to that Facebook page I named and read the stories. Come back here and tell me the cops are not going rogue and making up their own laws. If you have pets do you really feel safe in your house if the cops come?
    I have called my local police department I am so scared. I know what they tell me I can do, but how do I know they will let me. They have told me to tell the cops threw the door let me put my dog away and do it. That they will give me the time to do that... but how do I know that cop will care?
    Alty I would sue too if it happened but that will not pay vet bills or bring my dog back. That will also not erase the memories of what happened. This world and government scares me more and more each day. People need control back and cops and politicians need to realize they work for us and not us for them.
    Excon, I can say I hate bad cops. I can say I am scared of cops. Maybe I do hate them all but that seems like such a blanket statement. Even on that page on Facebook I posted about they list stories from good cops helping dogs. So not all are bad.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 07:33 AM
    If the cops are trying to arrest a DANGEROUS FELON, then shoot the damn dog..
    Reminds me of that Santa Fe NM traffic stop (for speeding), the mother got scared and took off, and the cops shot at the van full of five kids.

N.M. police fire on minivan filled with kids, their mom: How it happened - CBS News

Those are the same cops who'd shoot an aging, toothless dog without thinking twice. In Chicago, the cops go to the wrong house and shoot your dog.

Illinois police officer goes to wrong house, shoots family's dog - National Dogs | Examiner.com

Illinois departments love their K-9 auxiliaries that help officers in all sorts of ways, but there's a disconnect when it's a possible offender's barking, growling dog defending his master or his pack.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Hello again, m:
    Excon, I can say I hate bad cops. I can say I am scared of cops. Maybe I do hate them all but that seems like such a blanket statement. So not all are bad.
    In their own MINDS they're "good". They've even convinced SOME of you. But, lemme ask you THIS...

Let's say you happen to run into one of those "bad" cops with "good" cops looking on.. And, the bad cop DOES what bad cops DO, and that's ABUSE you. As a victim of police brutality, you file a complaint...

Absent video, WHO are the "good" cops gonna BACK UP??? YOU????

Nahhh.. You KNOW who. So, I don't CARE that they THINK they're good cops. They DON'T fool me..

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 08:00 AM
    Reminds me of that Santa Fe NM traffic stop (for speeding), the mother got scared and took off, and the cops shot at the van full of five kids.
    Apparently you don't know the whole story about that WG.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Hello J:
    Apparently you don't know the whole story about that WG
    What's to KNOW, J??? Don't keep us hanging.

The cop was shooting at a fleeing suspect.. That's against the law, EVEN in your neck of the woods. The cop was fired. That's as it SHOULD be. Yes, he's trying to get his job back. That's as it should be too.

What are we missing?

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 08:10 AM
    If a cop will shoot people, why wouldn't they shoot a dog. And shooting a van full of kids is wrong no matter the circumstances. Cops had an option, I mean where were they going to escape to?
    Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
    She was from here. About 30 miles from where I live. There was marijuana in the vehicle. Let me see if I can find the local reports.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 08:16 AM
    Hello again, J:
    There was marijuana in the vehicle.
    OMG! It was pot.. That's certainly a capital offense deserving of DEATH, even if you're 6 and it was your mothers pot.

Wow. There's nothing more I can say about that.

excon
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Sorry J9.. just cause a natural herb was in the vehicle was not grounds to shoot at her. Should she have stopped... YES. Should the cop have shot at her... NO How do they keep the peace in Britain? They don't carry guns I believe.. unless that is an urban legend.
    I really don't know the solution but do know I can no longer ignore what is going on in the world. Change happens when people start paying attention and demand change.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 08:18 AM
    This should outline it. New Mexico officer in Memphis van shooting is fired » The Commercial Appeal
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Hello again, J:

Yup. Marijuana PIPES... That JUSTIFIES it, for sure...

Are you STILL gonna pursue that FLAWED and DANGEROUS logic, J???? I KNOW your sons are cops, but you don't think they should shoot somebody who's RUNNING away because they have pot...

Plus, the cops didn't KNOW there was a dangerous drug in the car, before they SHOT their guns. If they DID, ALL of 'em would be DEAD!!!

Yes, I HATE cops... Have you ever asked your son whether he'd snitch on a BAD cop to make sure the force was CLEAN??? Why don't you ask him?

excon
    Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Gimme a freaking break already! While you were nicely tucked in your bed and having a good snooze, I was delivering babies, both live and dead. If I had the wits about me right now I could give you more specifics. Sadly I don't have my wits about me. I need to sleep.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 15, 2013, 08:26 AM
    J I see wrong on all sides in that story.
    1. The lady should have stopped for the officers the first time
    2. The officer should not have shot at the vehicle. Especially after he realized children were in the van. (They had all ready approached the vehicle to smash the window out).

Both are in the wrong. Again it is not the children's fault what the mom is doing. Also they only mention pipes were in the vehicle no pot was mentioned. IMO too many people are in jail for darn possession of pot. Too many lives ruined by stupid laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dogs are extremely aggressive towards other dogs, kicked out of 2 classes [ 7 Answers ]

We have to dogs both the same age (1year old) and they are scary aggressive if they see another dog on a walk and they've gone ape in two different training classes and been kicked out. How do we fix this? I don't want to put them down

Can the cops still come [ 1 Answers ]

My friend's boyfriend was at a party and some girls iPod and 80 dollars was stolen. The dad of the girl keeps going to my friends house and asking her questions. He hasn't reported the crime. It happened Friday night. Her boyfriend doesn't live with her anymore. Can the cops do anything?

The Cops and You [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: Let's say your spouse was murdered. You've cooperated with the cops the first time around, but now they want to talk to you a second time... It was clear to you from the first interview, that the cops thought YOU had something to do with it.. Please vote for what you'd do. Nobody...

The Cops and you [ 40 Answers ]

Hello: Let's say there is a confrontation between a citizen and a cop... Who, between the two, is entitled to respect by the other?? Me?? I believe the citizen is. After all, the citizen is the sovereign and the cop works for him... However, I believe those folks of the right wing...

How many cops? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello: The cajoler asked how many convicted felons there are in these good ol United States. Got me to wondering... How many cops are there? While we're at it, how many different federal police departments are there? Which ones? I'll bet you can't name 'em all. excon

View more questions Search