Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichaelUnger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2013, 01:17 PM
    1991 Honda Civic problems...
    Just got gas. Went through stop light, my car engine quit. Pushed clutch in and popped out engine seemed to fire up. But quickly went to zero rpm's. Pulled over and turned car off. Restarted with key, fired right up and ran almost till I got home, twenty miles or so. Got almost home and car died again. Its like someone turned the key off. Took ten minutes to start again. Got it running, got home, turned car off and now it will not start. I have fuel, fire, and air. Checked the fuel at fuel filter. It sprays. Checked fire at spark plug, got good spark. Air, not to worried about. Sprayed starting fluid down the tube. Cranks harder but does not want to start. As soon as I let off the key, the motor dies. Checked ECU for trouble codes. None. One red blink and that's it. Seems that I have to wiggle the key in position 2 to get my engine warning lights to stay on and to get the ECU to blink hello. I'm thinking that I have a problem with my ignition switch. Am I on the right track. I'm trying to avoid throwing parts at my car. Also, I can hear my fuel pump working when I turn the key on.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
    Ignition switch is 22 years old. Somewhat problematic on older Honda's. Since it appears to be related to the switch, I would change it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2013, 02:44 PM
    . Check ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.

. Focus on the Ignition Control Module (ICM), if the problem persists. If you end up replacing it, I would also replace the coil, rotor, and distributor cap. I recommend replacing ICMs and coils every 125,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Civic LX 1.5L Starting Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a 1991 honda civic lx 1.5L and lately I have been having starting problems about once every other day, I have no clue what would cause this because I have a new battery and I make sure that I leave everything off (lights, radio, etc.) and I also have some new relays and a new fuel pump. ...

1991 honda civic brake problems [ 1 Answers ]

My car feels and hears like there is a brake line leak in my right rear brakes, but I don't see a puddle. Is it inside the drum or is there just air in the system? What am I looking for if it is inside the drum?

1991 honda civic problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1991 honda civic that I think it has a electric problem Sometimes I start it and it won't even turn over and when I'm driving at night sometimes all my lights go off but I'm still driving the car when I put the headlights on my engine sounds like its running low I let it run for a...

1991 honda civic dx problems starting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I own a 1991 honda civic dx and I just put a new starter in it and a new fuel pump and a new fuel filter all within the last month. And after all that was said and done I tried starting it and it still won't turn over it pops but won't start do you now what the problem is because I'm at a lose...

Problems with my 1991 honda civic dx [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my 1991 honda civic dx it overheats when I am sitting in traffic but not driving. I changed the fan sensor already and have noticed that the fan doesn't come on, What could be the problem is it possible that both fans went out at same time? Also getting error code 16 from ECU...

View more questions Search