Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lathammm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Waking with Blind Dog
    I have a blind and deaf cockerspaniel and I want to wake up at night when he needs to go out. Can anyone recommend a motion detector or an alert system that works for them. I want to hear an alarm of some type so I can wait up and take him out.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
    Maybe this or something similar:
    Amazon.com: Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent: Pet Supplies

Radio Shack may have an alarm that would work also.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Harbor Freight has a driveway alert. I use it to tell me when deer are passing on the trail. Works great. <$20
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 13, 2013, 02:08 PM
    What exactly are your needs?

How sensitive to his movements do want an alarm to be?

What type of area do you want to cover? A room, if he crosses a certain doorway...?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
    Here's the problem I forsee. Any alarm in your house that goes off with movement, very well could go off if he merely rolls over, or scratches himself. You'd be waking up a lot at night.

How old is your dog? Has he ever been crate trained? A crate may be the better option. He'll whine to get out, and if you place the crate in your room, you should hear him whining to alert you.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2013, 10:50 PM
    You can get pressure sensitive pads that go off when the dog gets up, we use these at work on the hospital beds to alert people when a high risk resident tries to get up. Downfall is if the dog just wants to get up for a drink of water in the middle of the night it will also make it go off.

I agree with crating in your bedroom, I do this when training young puppies, the movement in the crate right next to me wakes me up and I know to let them out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop my dog from waking up early [ 3 Answers ]

My dog sleeps inside and wakes up at 03.30 every morning how do I fix this so I can get some sleep

Dog waking during the night [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 11 year old staffordshire bull terrier, who recently has been waking us during the night at different times by scratching at door down stairs, sometimes wanting to go out to do his business other times not. We have tried changing meal times, distance of walks instead of 2 long walks he...

My dog keeps waking up and gagging [ 2 Answers ]

At first she was pacing around and trying unsuccessfully to vomit and gagging and licking everything in sight. I was worried it may be bloat, but then her tummy feels soft and she has since calmed down and is laying on the couch trying to sleep. She keeps waking up every oncei n a while and tries...

Dog waking in night, but doesn't seem to need anything... [ 1 Answers ]

My 12 year old dal has started a very strange nightly "routine". We have had the same routine for years - she goes to her crate at the foot of our bed nightly, gets a treat and nighty night until morning. In the past years, when she has felt sick, or needed to go out and potty/ upset stomach,...

My dog is keep waking me up could I be pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have question my dog Baby has always slept threw the night. The past few nights she has woken me up. Licking my face and wanting to be in the middle of my husband and I. She never has done this she always sleeps threw the night. We thought maybe she just had to go to the bathroom the first...

View more questions Search