Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boudicca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2013, 11:03 AM
    Coloured cremation ashes
    My mother's ashes were delivered yesterday; they are multi-coloured - mainly grey and white as expected but with shards of blue, pink, brown and black flecks. What is this? There was also a bent pin of approximately one inch - was this from the body or the coffin? I realise whoever answers this can only speculate but I would like some hypothesis please. Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
    Typically the "coffin" used in cremation is a simple carbdoard box with a plywood base for stiffness. It has no pins or metal harware. After cremation the only things left over are bones plus any metal bits that the deceased may have had in his/her body from medical procedures. If your mother had broken bones or other injuries that required pins, staples, screws etc they would be left over and are supposed to be picked out by hand before the bones are pulverized into the final ash consistency. Perhaps they missed this one inch pin. As for the colors - just a guess but perhaps items like dentures, teeth fillings, joint implants or arterial stents she may have had make for different colors?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2013, 11:17 AM
    I called my cousin, a funeral director, to ask him about this. He said in the U.S. a body is cremated in whatever clothing the family chooses and in a special container, so these things that you found that may not be cremains could be from the clothing, jewelry she was wearing, or even from the container itself. He suggested you call the funeral director for your mother or the crematorium itself to find out specifics for your area and for this cremation.
    Boudicca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2013, 01:19 PM
    Thank you for your responses. There weren't any items in her body e.g. pins, that I know of and she would have been naked in the coffin - albeit for a body bag or whatever the crematorium decided upon as she came straight from a hospital morgue. It's a bit creepy to be honest - the not knowing I mean, but I shall take your advice and contact the crematorium on Monday. Thanks so much for getting back to me, both of you. Much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Matching coloured spot light for ivory coloured wall? [ 1 Answers ]

What colured spot light is matching for ivory coloured wall

Cremation he wanted and wrote it down,to disperse his ashes there's many a grounds [ 2 Answers ]

My dad recently passed.He appointed one of his friends Power of Attorny and trustee to his estate.Besides the shock of my dad in a little box at his services(my dads written request to be cemated, unknown to us till that day) his ashes were swept off by some woman as soon as the services were over....

Cremation and my responsibility [ 2 Answers ]

I'm the only one who is listed for a patient in a nursing home. She has no relatives. She's dying. I can't see getting a funeral home. Can someone just get cremated Without a church or funeral home?

Cremation and what's required [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine went to two funeral parlors to prepay her own funeral. She was told That she needs special papers from the lawyer for cremation. I have cremation in my Will and apparently that's not enough. My partner doesn't even have cremation in her Will, it's just what she told me. Are...

View more questions Search