Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2013, 09:40 AM
    The Senate...
    Hello:

Do you remember when Republicans shot themselves in the foot by running LOSING candidates in WINNABLE races? The Senate was IN their hands, but they threw it away.

Well, they have another chance coming up... And they're gonna throw it away again..

Whatever they did back then, they're repeating it. Let's just take the upcoming Senate race in Texas. If the primary attack from the right flank of John Cornyn, the 2nd most conservative guy in the Senate, is successful, it opens the door for the Democrat.

I'm NOT saying a Democrat would WIN. It IS Texas after all. But, even Steve Stockman might be too nuts for Texas.

Liz Cheney opposing long time conservative Mike Enzi might be another one.

And, there's others.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 13, 2013, 10:11 AM
    I am hopeful that with some of the adults in the Republican Party finally starting to speak up about the disasterous Tea Party/Ted Cuz/Sarah Palin wing that perhaps this type of self-immolation in Republican primaries will become less common. But I'm not holding my breath.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
    You mean the Cornyn who said “Our spending is unsustainable” before he voted for a $4 trillion spending increase ?
    As an establishment inside the beltway Senator Cornyn has deep pockets (currently $7 million in funding ). If he can't beat back a challenge by Stockman (currently has $32,000 to begin his campaign) then he doesn't deserve to keep his seat .
    Besides ,Cornyn will have served 2 term . Under my plan he'd be looking for something else to do for a living anyway.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
    Stockman on the other hand appears to have issues that would prevent him from being a worthy candidate .
    Rep. Steve Stockman Launches Senate Bid Amid Financial, Ethical Questions

There are other candidates who have thrown their hats in the ring. Maybe someone like Linda Vega or Dwayne Stovall
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2013, 06:13 PM
    Now is the time for him to live up to his word

"President Obama said the day after the budget deal is made he's going to concentrate on immigration. He says he'll start by deporting Ted Cruz." –Conan O'Brien
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 13, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Unfortunately, people think they can talk crazy and spew anarchy, raise money and get elected. That's why republicans are scared out of their wits of the primaries. Their fear has been their downfall, and failure.

There are no dems to challenge Cornyn. So you might as well say the primary is the race and people won't be able to forget he didn't support that other loony in Texas, and this new loony will remind him... if the TParty gets behind him, and that's just plain crazy, even for them.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2013, 03:49 AM
    I don't think there is anything to fear . The Repubic establishment is behind Cornyn ,and that includes Rove's machine. Rove has worked for 6 years now to sabotage conservative efforts and throwing the resources behind ,Repubic establishment and "Obama-lite" candidates .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2013, 05:18 AM
    Hello again, tom:
    I don't think there is anything to fear .
    Didn't they say that about Cruz??

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2013, 10:45 AM
    Cruz was always a much better alternative ,who had served in government and politics in some capacity since 2000 .He also was not running against an incumbent . He defeated Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst in the Republican primary runoff. What all the challengers need to hope for is for Cornyn to get 50% or less so a runoff scenario can be played out . I think instead what will happen is that the conservative/TP vote will get split .
    I can say right now that if it was between Cornyn and Stockman ;Cornyn would get my vote. Stockman is ethically challenged . I don't know enough yet about the other candidates.
    Expert

Dec 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
    They all depend on the TParty vote. So the louder the better. Cruz had TParty support and the religious right in his pocket, along with name recognition. He helped Bush get elected before there was a TParty.

If Cruz endorses anybody else but Cornyn, then Cornyn is in deep doo doo!
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2013, 11:13 AM
    What ? You mean John McCain ,Susan Collin's and Mitch McConnell's endorsement won't be enough ?
    Expert

Dec 14, 2013, 02:58 PM
    RINO's don't carry a lot of water in Texas.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2013, 06:27 AM
    I don't know that Stockman has much of a chance, but he has more of one than Wendy Davis or whatever Democrat runs for Senate. I'm guessing Cornyn will withstand the challenge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Nothing Senate [ 4 Answers ]

For the 3rd year in a row ,the Senate has failed to approve a budget . 2 of those years they have voted down the President's budget proposal unanimously while simultaneously either rejecting Republican plans; or not considering budgets passed by the House of Representatives . Senate rejects Obama...

The senate [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best website to see a list of how the senate votes, especially on the jobs bill?

Senate open seats [ 4 Answers ]

What happens after the results of the election, since at least one Senate seat will be open. Does a special election occur or does someone appoint a replacement?

Congress and Senate [ 3 Answers ]

Who has the higher authority - Congress or Senate Does a bill go to the Congress first and then the Senate? If so, why did the bailout bill go to the senate today, and will then go back to the congress?

View more questions Search