Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanielMeld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2013, 04:30 AM
    Sick time
    I work for a large company. I have 10 sick days per year. I fell ill and needed to use a sick day. My supervisor told me that I needed to make up the time on my next scheduled day off. This doesn't seem right. What should I do?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 12, 2013, 04:34 AM
    What does company policy dictate?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 12, 2013, 05:50 AM
    It's the time of year when employees decide to use or lose their sick days, and companies do whatever it takes to discourage that. So if you aren't really sick, and you want your next review to go well instead of being laid off or fired or just not given a raise, then don't call in sick, or make up the day's work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2013, 06:01 AM
    Did you not use up all your days? As joy pointed out, this could be just the time of the year. You might want to discuss this with your HR dept.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2013, 09:39 AM
    You don't say if you will be paid for that makeup day or not. In many instances, overtime (premium pay) is not required to be paid until the employee has worked (not counting the sick day) 40 hours. So the supervisor may be trying to keep production up and do it most economically for the company.
    Could this be your misunderstanding what the supervisor was telling you? In other words, was the boss talking about making up lost work and not about making up a full week's pay? If not, you don't have the sick days you think you have, you haven't followed the company policy for documenting sick leave or when it can be used, you didn't call in per policy, or the supervisor is trying to pull a fast one. And in most companies, in order for the supervisor to do that, he/she would have to record the day you were off as a day without pay. And all depends on where you are located and we don't know that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I getting sick all the time? [ 18 Answers ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that the average adult will catch between 2 and 4 colds every year. By the time I got to middle school, I never got sick. I've had perfect attendance in school, and rarely ever so much as a cold. Now suddenly in the past year I've had to call out of work...

Sick all the time [ 2 Answers ]

I get sick quite frequently, with colds and flu. The last cold I had lasted almost three months. It went away about three months ago and now I'm sick again and I've had this cold for about a month. I'm tired of being sick because it makes me groggy, and my sinus get really plugged. It affects...

Sick all the Time? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone! :D OK so firstly... I am going to see the doctor about this so no need to tell me to. But my appointment is just over a week away and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some quick fixes or whatever (or maybe even recognize what's wrong with me) until then. so, for the...

5 month old sick all the time [ 7 Answers ]

I've got a five month old son who even 2 hours after a feed is being still being sick all over the place. The only time he's not sick is the feed before I lay him down for bed. He also suffers from excema. We are at the end of our tethers we just don't know what to do. Any help and advise will be...

View more questions Search