Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2005, 04:48 PM
    Broken lawn mower cord
    I own a murray lawnmower with a briggs and stratton motor. The problem is my dogs chewed through the cord on it so I have to take apart the engine to fix it. Will I have to drain the fluids and how would I do that. I tried to get maintenance tips forn their website but there is nothing about replacing the cord. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2005, 08:57 PM
    Labs per chance? Those things can be a pain. You shouldn't need to drain any of the fluids unless the gas tank is fastened solid to the outside housing. Just take top of the housing along with what ever else must come off. Wind the new cord around the pulley and put it and the spring back. Haven't had one apart recently, and I forget some of the details.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2005, 11:36 PM
    Haha briggs you say, ask the briggs dude for help, no you have no need to drain the engine of oil. All you have to do is buy another cord, which is cheap by the way. And take about 4 or more bolts, (depending on size off the cover) that's what the cord goes into, well then you just take the cover off and disasemble the rewind starter and reattach the cord to the rewinder, be sure to not uncoil the coil, wrap it around the rewind pulley, and slip the other end through the hole on the engine cover and attach the handle and put it all back in place opposite you took it apart, which is very simple, now old briggs used what is called a starter clutch, newer ones use well this is a funny, starter DOGS to catch onto the starter bowl as I call it and start it. Both are simple, what is it a 3.5 briggs or what. Might I add. I had that same problem, cheap plastic bucket over the engine solves the dog eating cord problem or if its an extended cord to around the top of the handle then some hot sauce once and no more :D, hotsauce is easily put on and taken off by water, in some instances if the cord is not too short or its not worn out, frayed etc. you can easily get away with using the old cord. But sounds like they screwed it up big. Briggs goooooood engine. :D I currently for my personal use not what I fix for money is a 6.0 craftsman, all briggs now, murray with a 3.5, murray 8 8hp rider> 1982 model still going, and a 12 hp I/C briggs powered noma, oh and if you ever get a briggs with a nikki carb dump that carb and go with a walbro. Nikki's just plain aren't worth the name stamped on them. Oh and the gas tank, well all gas tank's on all briggs are easily removed by a couple bolts on most, on any almost if need be. If it's a 3.5 well the tank won't be a problem. If it's a 6.0 quantum or intek, or other's maybe but not by much, if it's a rider then if the tanks mounted to the side of the engine cover. Might have to, if not then no. :) hope this helps. I love briggs :cool:
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2005, 10:25 PM
    I replaced the cord but now when I pull it it won't retract. Any ideas? Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2005, 01:51 AM
    Make sure the cord is not hung. It makes the starter dogs pop out and they aren't hung up. Plus the spring must be wound up to work good or even at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken electric lawn mower belt [ 9 Answers ]

I have an old Craftsman electric mower. I do not know model number, but it is 12 amp and 18 inch deck (with 2 blades not 1). It is a push mower, not self-propelled and it is side discharge. I snapped a belt (which drives one of the blades) and cannot get a replacement. The belt has the...

Lawn Mower Replacement cord [ 3 Answers ]

How can I attach a replacement pull cord on a Murray push mower?

Lawn mower help [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 poulan pro 42" 2 years old. It will start but no matter what I do it kills, like hitting the kill switch. If I let out the clutch, even in neutral it kills. Engage blades or anything it kills. And the weirdest thing is that the kill switch in the seat doesn't kill it. I really...

Lawn mower problems [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower won't start. The rope won't pull, well, it pulled once them nothing. There is gas and oil in the appropate places.Help I want to mulch leaves.

View more questions Search