Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nsejab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
    Misfire and strong gas smell
    1994 Ford Thunderbird. 4.6L V8 with auto transmission.

Car was running fine when parked. After several hours returned to car and started fine but has bad misfire. Can smell gas really strong. Checked both coil packs and wires. Has had a code for EGR valve for a while but never any indications except light. O2 sensors changed about 6months ago.

Jay
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2013, 07:11 AM
    Sounds like the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is bad. If you keep driving the car, while the problem exists, you run the risk of 1) blowing the exhaust system off the car, due to gas build-up, and 2) ruining the catalytic converter.

Dec 12, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Is there a way to test it?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
    AutoZone can test ICMs on their Well's machine. I don't place a lot of faith in the results, however. My experience has been that if they test bad they are bad. However, if they test fine, they may be bad. Instead, I recommend replacing ICMs every 125,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Dec 12, 2013, 01:33 PM
    Thank you very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strong, weird smell in my house comes and goes. No one else can smell it [ 4 Answers ]

I have been struggling with this issue for about 3 years. A smell comes and goes in my house and we cannot figure out the source. It starts as a wiff of "that smell" and then by the next day it's almost constant. After a few days to a few weeks it goes away. We have had a plumber out to reroute...

Cylinder misfire and bad gas [ 11 Answers ]

Mechanics have no idea what's wrong with my car. PLEASE HELP! In the past 2 weeks this has happened 3 times: I have a 2002 Mazda Protégé 5 with 115000 miles. I'll be driving and I can start to feel my car or engine shake so I pull over and slow down and when I get under 15 mph the whole engine...

Bad Sewer with horriable smell of gas fumes and sour smell ,toilet smell.unit [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a low rental, had complained since I have moved in on, June,26/2010... have called city of winnipeg was told private property. Called the water waste line.. they did nothing and the smell is still in the unit. The development, was build in 2007.. the air vents where the heat comes from,...

I have a carrier unit 48kla136-300BE . When I use the heater I get a strong gas smell [ 5 Answers ]

I have a carrier unit 48kla136-300BE . When I use the heater I get a strong gas smell in my business

View more questions Search