Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    72deeds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Mower Starts but shuts off in grass
    My Craftsman push mower stopped mid yard and now it won't cut the grass. I tried some basic maintenance to get it going again. I topped off the oil and gas, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the under carriage, and raised the wheels. I checked the blade and it looks fine. I can't think of what to do next! The mower starts and idles fine but as soon as it touches uncut grass it studders and shuts off. It will restart right away but doesn't like grass anymore. Any ideas?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 AM
    Is the engine reving properly? Does it sound different. Try running with no air filter for diagnostic purposes.
    Don
    joebiker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 72deeds
    My Craftsman push mower stopped mid yard and now it won't cut the grass. I tried some basic maintenance to get it going again. I topped off the oil and gas, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the under carriage, and raised the wheels. I checked the blade and it looks fine. I can't think of what to do next! The mower starts and idles fine but as soon as it touches uncut grass it studders and shuts off. It will restart right away but doesn't like grass anymore. Any ideas?
    Think I'm dealing with the same problem. My guess is a dirty carburator. The mower is burning the fuel you use to prime the engine with then runs out of gas. Mine would run for about three minutes, so every time I got to the same part of the lawn it died too. Weird but I think it's It's just coincidence that it happens when you get to the grass. Estimates I got were between $40 and $65 to fix it including labor. If you're handy, you could try disassembling the carb and cleaning it out. If not, take it to an expert. Still cheaper than getting a new mower.
    Jetlag Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 09:10 PM
    I had a similar problem with my Toro. A friend told me that he pours a small capful
    (1/2 tablespoon) of automotive carburetor cleaner directly into his mower tank with each tank of gas.
    I had good results when I tried it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace shuts down starts only after off switch [ 3 Answers ]

Our Furnace comes on and only runs for a minute or so... the first fan comes on and it sounds like water in the fan... we have a humidifier on side... then the blower fan comes on and it only runs for a few minutes.it doesn't get up to the tempter we set it too.( tried both.digital themo and old...

MTD mower starts great and then shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

My riding mower starts up great and then shuts off after 30 seconds the fuel is running through the line fine The problem started while I was mowing and now I can't use it What might the problem be and what parts do I need to fix it

Snapper Mower, riding, B&Stranton 9hp Starts, runs, dies... [ 2 Answers ]

So I was feeling pretty snappy from having got my mom's push mower running. She had put a new spark plug in, I gapped it, and drained fuel, took of round thingy with a float in it and washed a screw with hole (in gas). She is mowing with it now! Great... But her riding mower, snapper, with 9...

My PC Starts, then shuts down [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, OK just put a new motherboard in & cpu & basically it boots for about 5-10 seconds then shuts down again, getting shorter each time unless I leave it while any ideas Thanks

View more questions Search