Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2013, 08:41 PM
    Irregular heart rhythm
    My grandma's blood pressure cuff has been displaying a blinking icon indicating an irregular heart rhythm several times over the past day and a half. Could this be an emergency?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2013, 08:44 PM
    Have you tried a different cuff? What are her bp and pulse rate?

Dec 8, 2013, 08:56 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. No I haven't tried a different cuff (we don't have another) and I tried changing the batteries. Then I took my own BP on the same cuff and my boyfriend's as well, and the heart icon does not blink for either of us, just for her. She is 85 and has congestive heat failure, but does not feel anything strange or have any other symptoms. Her BP and pulse rate vary each time we take it but have been in normal range for her. The only weird thing is the irregular heartbeat indicator flashing. We take her BP twice a day and that does not normally happen. The roads here are iced over and impassible right now so I'm hoping it's not an emergency, but have no idea..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2013, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas1 View Post
    The roads here are iced over and impassible right now so I'm hoping it's not an emergency, but have no idea..
    We don't know either, unfortunately. I wonder if you can call the ER and run this past a doctor, but the ER may be swamped right now because of accidents and bender benders.

We have several excellent medical professionals here, so hopefully one or more will see this thread this evening and weigh in with a professional opinion.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2013, 09:44 PM
    Please don't call the ER as you will waste valuable resources. You will only be told that there is nothing they can do over the phone and that she will need to be evaluated in person.

Since she has CHF, it is important to get her evaluated.

Dec 8, 2013, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Please don't call the ER as you will waste valuable resources. You will only be told that there is nothing they can do over the phone and that she will need to be evaluated in person.

Since she has CHF, it is important to get her evaluated.
    That's pretty much what I would expect the ER to say. I plan to call her doctor tomorrow for advice. Hopefully she will be OK tonight.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2013, 10:08 PM
    I work in the ER, yup, that's what we would say.

I can't tell you if she will be okay tonight or not. It would depend on what arrhythmia she is experiencing. Some are benign yet some are life threatening, even without other symptoms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Irregular heart beats? 15 yr old [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 15 year old girl who is very active and is a runner and hiker etc. I have been noticing for a couple of years now that I get this feeling in my heart area that feels like I'm short of breath and like my beats have an awkward slower pace or a fluttery like beat. And this usually only last...

How did Keflex help my heart rhythm? [ 0 Answers ]

I have experienced atrial fibrillation, tachycardia and PVCs for the past five years, with some success from two cardiac ablations. On one occasion a doctor prescribed Keflex for an unrelated purpose, and for one week my arrhytmia ceased. Both my wife and best friend (with whom we share the...

How the heart keep its rhythm [ 1 Answers ]

What is the factor that causes the heart to keep its rhythm

Irregular heart beat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm not sure if I put this is the right place :confused: oh well but laterly I keep getting the most weirdest feeling in my heart, like it feels like it will skip a beat then try to make up for that mist beat and beat really fast and hard, it feels like its trying to escape from my body! Also...

Fluctuations in Heart Rhythm [ 3 Answers ]

My pulse rate is about 1 beat per second while breathing out slowly or while not breathing in or out, but when I breath in it will skyrocket to about 2-3 times a second... is this normal??

View more questions Search