Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jewlzy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2013, 01:09 AM
    Our poor dog is mourning the loss of her best friend and has now started urinating
    We had 2 beautiful dogs, one was a shihtzu, the other a Pekingese...
    They were best friends, our oldest dog was Angel, she was 12, however the Pekingese Lily who is 3 was the alpha dog..

Our sweet Angel was so sweet and loving, but unfortunately she fell into our swimming pool after what appeared to be a brain aneurism... She went out for her morning potty and never came in, she was found floating in the pool, we found out that if a dog drowns then they will sink, she apparently died and fell into the pool according to vet... There were wet paw prints near the edge as it looks like Miss Lily tried saving her... My poor husband found her as we had searched the entire house for her, she had become deaf so we knew she would sometimes fall asleep in strange places and we always had to search for her, so that was normal...
    He pulled her from the pool and this started a day of me trying to revive her and tying not to feel responsible for not being there for her..

It was a tragic death not only for my daughters and I but Miss Lilly is so depressed and has started peeing in the home...

Before we brought Angel to the crematorium we allowed Lily to smell her and see her, as I had read to do that so the remaining dog can move on sooner... the cremation services returned her to us with locks of hair and a paw print mold on a plaque, we allowed Miss Lily to sniff as we were directed by the vet..

But now I am at a loss of what to do for her, she is never left alone unless for a grocery trip etc.

Should I bring in a friend for her or what will help her?

She has been hiding her treats (she never did that before) and she has been house trained for over 2 1/2 yrs, but now I find puddles everywhere..

Any insight or advice will be most appreciated.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 10, 2013, 08:24 PM
    Dogs mourn like people do. Since they can't sit in a room and have a good cry, they resort to other things.

When she does pee inside what is your reaction? No matter how she's feeling she needs to know that peeing indoors is not okay, and not acceptable behavior. You'll have to treat her like a new puppy you're potty training, back to basics. A firm no when you catch her in the act, then take her directly outside. Stop her mid pee if you can. Once outside, use your potty word, and tons of praise when she does what she's expected to do.

How often is she walked? How often does she get a chance to potty?

As for getting another dog, I'm a firm believer in finding a new friend for a dog that's lost theirs, but it can be a lot of work. There's no guarantee that the grieving dog will accept a new addition, so I highly recommend that you take her along when you're making your choice. I'd also recommend a rescue dog around her age, and energy level. It's trying at the best of times to have a puppy in the house, but for a dog that's mourning it can make things start of badly for the two of them.

First get her potty issues under control. You really don't want her teaching a new dog bad habits.

Good luck, and I'm sorry for your loss.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2013, 08:33 PM
    Reduce the areas of the house she can reach for a while. She hopefully will be less likely to pee in a small area. Close doors and put up barriers.

Just spend a lot of time with her while she mourns.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
    I'm so sorry for your loss. We knew we'd lose our beagle and tried to locate a rescue after we lost him. Our remaining dog had never been alone and wouldn't come out of his dog house. We got a puppy within two weeks and our dog seemed to understand it was for him. It took a bit of time, but once she could play a little tug of war, they bonded. We're at the 6 month mark and they are best buddies. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
    A friend of mine recently lost her cat in a sudden accident, the cat and her dog were best friends, they were inseparable. The dog pined and moped and continuously looked for the cat, in the end she bought a new kitten home and they bonded instantly.

Unfortunately that is not always the case, but in her circumstance it worked perfectly.

Another option may be to buy one of those toys for kids that simulate a real dog. There are a lot of different ones, the ones I think would work best are the ones that just have a bit of movement, I bought one for my mother last Christmas and you would swear it is real, it's in a curled up sleeping position and when you turn it on its sides rise like it's breathing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog in mourning and refuses to eat [ 13 Answers ]

Hi Everyone. I have had dogs all my life. Usually only one at a time. They are our family members. My 10 1/2 yo Great Dane boy crossed over Rainbow Bridge on 2/18/2010. His sister from the same litter has been in mourning ever since. Even during his final weeks, she was still happy, acting...

Urinating dog [ 2 Answers ]

My partner and I have recently moved in together with his 2 dogs - a male whippet and a labrador and my two children and my jack russel dog. The problem is his whippet dog. He has a heart murmour so cannot be castrated but it urinates all over the kitchen during the night. The dogs go out at...

Dog has started urinating in the house [ 6 Answers ]

We have two lab/pitbull mix sisters - both came from an animal rescue shelter; both are 16 months old. They are just over 50 lbs, very active, and generally well behaved. Recently one of our girls has started urinating inside the house. She will leak drops of urine, sometimes a brownish color,...

Urinating Dog . [ 8 Answers ]

Hi have a maltese dog he is 3, who lives outside and is neutered.. Lately he has started to pee on my blankets I hang out (marking I think ) BUT why my blankets?? I know I can hang them higher but I just find it so disgusting that he is doing this and I'm so frustrated.. Over the last few weeks...

Dog Urinating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 3-1/2 years old. He is a inside dog and has been house broken. All of a sudden he has been peeing in the house. He is let out 5 to 6 times a day and some times more. I don't understand why he is doing this. Nothing has changed here. Only him. I need help!!

View more questions Search