Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nooneatall Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2013, 12:14 AM
    Extreme rebound weight gain.
    Hi. I'm a 29 years old female, 5 ft 6 inches, weighing 74 kg. I work out 6 days a week, spending anywhere between 1700 kcals to 1850 kcals daily, cardio. My diet is 1100 kcals per day, high protein, with an increase up to 2000 kcals once a week. Now, the thing is, in 2011 I lost 18 kg, of which I've gained 8 kg back to come up to 76. Since my weight loss, I've joined the gym and thus the workout mentioned. I've tested myself for thyroid, pcod, sr. Insulin, dheas. Every hormone is normal. I'm going crazy trying to figure out what is going on. I'm still gaining weight steadily.

I tried reducing my workout and even increasing my diet to check whether my body may be conserving too much too strictly, but again, I gained weight. I switched workout patterns, tried different diets, nothing seems to be stopping this rebound weight gain. I have already gained back nearly 50% of the weight I lost in 2012. I see no way out.

Please help because I'm an RD myself and my psychological health is now suffering as despite being a qualified professional of this very field, am unable to figure this out. I have asked several people, but have gotten no help.
    Please help. Please. I am getting desperate... "
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 7, 2013, 02:36 AM
    How were you able to test yourself? Or do you mean you had yourself tested?

I would suspect high estrogen in relation to other hormones, and a slowing metabolism, just off hand. We all slow down at different ages, but almost all of us slow down. What was your mother like at your age? Are you on birth control? Did you go off high protein when you cut back on intense exercise? What is your source of protein?

I'm sure you know that muscle weighs more than fat, so a little bit of weight gain is usually the change in your body's muscle mass.

It's possible that your workout wasn't really burning as many calories as you thought. Also, it isn't easy to eat just 1100 calories a day. When I add the milk in put in my coffee, and all the other little things, even portion size, I go over what I intend every day.

RD = registered dietician? Forgive me if I'm frustrating you with all that you already know. I guess I'd stay with the estrogen. 'Normal' levels don't mean you get to fight heredity, and I'm not sure that science really knows what one hormone level relative to another means in terms of metabolism. We all know people who eat anything and everything and stay thin as rails, when we are quite the opposite.

Dec 7, 2013, 02:45 AM
    Hi! Thank you for your answer. N yes, RD= Registered Dietitian. Hereditary does dictate obesity n hypothyroidism, but despite that, I lost 18 kg. The problem is rebound weight gain. I'm going nuts trying to find a solution, any solution. N regards to all your other questions, I carefully measure what n how much I eat. Its my profession n tht's what is wrong, so wrong. Think you can help me?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 7, 2013, 05:24 AM
    No idea..

Dec 7, 2013, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    No idea..
    Yup. Tht's the answer am getting everywhere. Thanks anyway.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 9, 2013, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneatall View Post
    I work out 6 days a week, spending anywhere between 1700 kcals to 1850 kcals daily, cardio. My diet is 1100 kcals per day, high protein, with an increase up to 2000 kcals once a week.
    This is could be your problem. You're starving yourself. Your consuming 50-60% of the calories you need for the energy you're expending. You've put your body into starvation mode so it is going to pack away all the fat it can.

What you didn't say is whether this is being packed on as fat. Could it be, due to your work outs, you're gain muscle and bone mass? Your fat has gone down but you're toning and building muscle/bone mass.

Dec 9, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    This is could be your problem. You're starving yourself. Your consuming 50-60% of the calories you need for the energy you're expending. You've put your body into starvation mode so it is going to pack away all the fat it can.

What you didn't say is whether this is being packed on as fat. Could it be, due to your work outs, you're gain muscle and bone mass? Your fat has gone down but you're toning and building muscle/bone mass.

Hi. Thank you for your answer. However, in response to your question, no, this is not muscle mass as even though muscles weigh more than fat, the body gets toned, leading to a decrease in the body measurements. However, in my case, I am experiencing an increase in my body measurements along with the weight gain. Also, as I mentioned, I did change my diet and exercise regime by ensuring that I eat the theoretically required according to the amount of exercises, but again, weight gain. So, any other things that you can think of? Again, thank you for your answer. Please do keep my problem in mind and if you have any other questions, please do ask me. Thanks.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 9, 2013, 01:33 PM
    I think this problem might be out of your league, even as a Registered Dietitian.

I am just a programmer that has a minor in biology. I know enough about biology and nutrition that if you're shorting one end of the equation you're body is going to compensate. For example a buddy of mine was generally healthy but chubby. His physical activity was normal, no gym or workouts but not sitting around all day. He was eating about 50-60% of his recommend caloric intake, and had been for years, but couldn't figure out why he wasn't losing weight. When he went to a doctor and nutritionist and they explained to him that his body was in starvation mode. So every spare calorie was packed away and the body was running low so it could save just in case the supply of food ends.

So when I saw that you're expending 1700-1850Kcals a day but only taking in 1100. I tweaked. Maybe you should see another Registered Dietitian and get their opinion. It is dangerous, no matter how qualified, to diagnose and treat yourself. They might have further insight that you've missed. It is also better then consult a largely untrained mass of internet people such as you find here.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 9, 2013, 02:56 PM
    I too would wonder what your doctors advise is, since no diet should be undertaken without consulting with a physician especially given the level of concerns with your results. I worry the goal may not be realistic and have seen many females ruin their health, both physical and mentally try to reach that ideal weight for height, their idea what their body image should be.

So why are you doing this? Do you think you are fat or something, or want to be skinny? What does your doctor say since you seem to have eliminated medical issues. How do you feel?

You need a second medical opinion besides your own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Get dog to gain wieght [ 3 Answers ]

I have a german shepherd dog he is a year old, and no matter what I do or feed him he will not gain any weight. He is very thin. Can you please tell me anything that will put weight on him.

Want my dog to gain more wieght [ 2 Answers ]

My dog doesn't seem to be keeping her wieght up like I think she should be.I feed her about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. twice a day.I feed her Old Roy,with 21% protein.She just stays not very skinny,but her wieght is fair I would say.Is there any kind of dog food that can help or any thing different I can do?

I eat sugar and lose wieght, eat healthy and gain? [ 2 Answers ]

OK don't tll me its not possible because rest assure you its happening to me. I live with my boyfriend. Were young and money is tight... very tight. Sometimes we can afford to go major food shopping sumetimes we cant. We always have food but sometimes its more of junk food. Now I have a HUGE...

How can I make to pups gain wieght [ 9 Answers ]

OK when I got these babies they where 8 weeks and both wieghing 9kgs they are now 9months an only wieghing 11kgs the amount I feed them would shock you they are on 5 feeds a day and look like they are only 4 months old I feed top quality puppy food raw meat and dog roll along with mashed vegetables...

View more questions Search