Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Insight about traumatic brain stem injury
    I have met a wonderful man who is insightful, highly intelligent, quick-witted, moral, gentlemanly - you name the positive attribute, he has it. We are just beginning to date and are both about 50 .

My question pertains to his serious medical history. Nearly 30 years ago, he suffered a traumatic brain stem injury. After the injury, though he was still recovering, he returned to college and earned a very difficult degree at a top university, then also earned an advanced degree. He worked for a number of years in his challenging profession before he took an early retirement because he was struggling with the pace expected in his work. His only lingering impacts that are apparent are that he walks and talks slowly, sometimes muddles his words, and does not have great balance.

What I would like to understand better are the potential impacts such an injury history might have on a relationship beyond the obvious physical limitations - social, psychological, emotional. Also, are survivors of these injuries more prone to other medical issues as they age?

I neither want to make a determination about a potential relationship based on such an injury, nor be naïve and pretend it's not a factor in how that relationship might develop and work over time. I'd appreciate insight from medical people, survivors, friends, relatives or other support people with experience with such injuries. I am too new to knowing this gentleman to delve further into the matter yet than I already have.

Thank you!

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-husband has brain injury [ 1 Answers ]

My children's father was in a motercycle accident. He suffered an injury to his brain stem and has since had several strokes. Somehow, his girlfriend,(an alcoholic), has managed to get full power of atty. Over him and will not let our grown children see or tslk to him. She has removed him from...

Concussion? Brain injury? [ 1 Answers ]

I was hit in the head 3 days ago, and was knocked out as a result. I didn't have any symptoms for a while, but.now I nave a headache. I have had 2 concussions in the past 6 months. No one knows about the.injury, and I can't tell anyone. What can I do to get better? What can I take to ease the...

Injury resulting from a brain MRI [ 4 Answers ]

I would like some opinions as to the possibility of winning a malpractice lawsuit. My wife has been having a very sore and inflamed throat for several weeks now. She went to her regular family doctor and he prescribed amoxicillion antibiotics for her to take. She has been taking them as...

Daughter at 16 received traumatic brain injury, needs a guardian, she is now 21. [ 1 Answers ]

I am speaking in behalf of my daughter who lives in NC at the present. She is moving back to Idaho in July. Mainly for my granddaughters welfare. Five years ago Jennifer received a traumatic brain injury in Wasilla Alaska, in an automobile accident. Jennifer is doing reasonably fine but in no...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.