Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 5, 2013, 03:06 PM
    South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies
    South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says

Continue reading the main story
    1918 Born in the Eastern Cape
    1943 Joined African National Congress
    1956 Charged with high treason, but charges dropped after a four-year trial
    1962 Arrested, convicted of incitement and leaving country without a passport, sentenced to five years in prison
    1964 Charged with sabotage, sentenced to life
    1990 Freed from prison
    1993 Wins Nobel Peace Prize
    1994 Elected first black president
    1999 Steps down as leader
    2001 Diagnosed with prostate cancer
    2004 Retires from public life
    2005 Announces his son has died of an HIV/Aids-related illness

BBC News - South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies

One of the greatest statesmen of our age...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2013, 03:15 PM
    Hello ben:

He lived a long and productive life. RIP.

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2013, 04:06 PM
    Yes he achieved much for his people
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 04:16 PM
    After all of his travails, I hope he is a better place. I thought the worse today when his daughter reported he wasn't doing well.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2013, 05:14 PM
    I've had mixed feelings about him for years. I can say without reservation that post-revolution he became his nations founding father in that unlike the party he founded ,he was a strong believer in the rule of law .He did not think himself above the law ;and unlike many of his contemporary revolutionaries of the 20th century ,he stepped down from power when his term ended ,and allowed for a peaceful transition of power .But most important ,he led his country in reconciliation. He bought his country time to stabilize and to grow democratic institutions when more than one person thought that apartheid would end with a violent civil war and ethnic cleansing .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2013, 06:35 PM
    Good rest his soul. That's all I have to say about that.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2013, 09:04 AM
    Max Boot at 'Commentary ' expressed my thoughts about Mandela better than I did .
    While traveling around the country promoting my last book, Invisible Armies: An Epic History of Guerrilla Warfare from Ancient Times to the Present, I was often asked which insurgents I admired the most. The answer is those insurgents who have fought relatively humanely and, most important of all, once they have seized power have governed wisely and democratically and shown a willingness to give up power when the time came to do so.

This is not, needless to say, the norm. Much more common are insurgents like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Castro, Mugabe, Kim Il Sung, and (fill in the blank) who, while posturing as freedom fighters battling an evil dictatorship, swiftly become dictators in turn as soon as they seize power. The exceptions to that rule are some of the greatest figures of modern history–the likes of George Washington, Michael Collins, David Ben-Gurion, and, most recently, Nelson Mandela.

I can remember growing up in the 1980s when there was widespread suspicion among conservatives in the U.S.–including many in the Reagan administration–that if the African National Congress were to take over, South Africa would be transformed into another dysfunctional dictatorship like the rest of the continent. That this did not come to pass was due to many reasons including F.W. de Klerk's wisdom in giving up power without a fight.

But the largest part of the explanation for why South Africa is light years ahead of most African nations–why, for all its struggles with high unemployment, crime, corruption, and other woes, it is freer and more prosperous than most of its neighbors–is the character of Nelson Mandela. Had he turned out to be another Mugabe, there is every likelihood that South Africa would now be on the same road to ruin as Zimbabwe. But that did not happen because Mandela turned out to be, quite simply, a great man–someone who could spend 27 years in jail and emerge with no evident bitterness to make a deal with his jailers that allowed them to give up power peacefully and to avoid persecution.

Mandela knew that South Africa could not afford to nationalize the economy or to chase out the white and mixed-raced middle class. He knew that the price of revenge for the undoubted evils that apartheid had inflicted upon the majority of South Africans would be too high to pay–that the ultimate cost would be borne by ordinary black Africans. Therefore he governed inclusively and, most important of all, he voluntarily gave up power after one term when he could easily have proclaimed himself president for life.

The (not unexpected) tragedy for South Africa is that Mandela's successors, Thabo Mbeki and Jacob Zuma, have not been men of his caliber: Mbeki, the previous president, was a colorless technocrat who could not inspire his people or face head-on the challenge of AIDS; Zuma, the current president, is a rabble-rouser who has been accused of numerous improprieties from rape to corruption. Their struggles and that of the ANC bureaucracy they preside over only place in starker relief the transcendent genius and sheer goodness of Nelson Mandela.

His example should dispel any illusions, so popular in the historical profession, that history is made by impersonal forces. Mandela's example is a ringing endorsement of what is derisively known as the “great man school of history”–the notion that influential individuals make a huge difference in how events turn out. He certainly made a difference, and for the better. He will go down as one of the giants of the second half of the twentieth century along with Reagan, Thatcher, Deng Xiaoping, Lech Walesa, and Pope John Paul II.
    The Character of Nelson Mandela « Commentary Magazine
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2013, 02:46 AM
    he is gone like some other terrorists before him he made the transition and led his nation and became an icon for stability. South Africa still has a long way to go and without Mandela they may struggle more. It was once a very prosperous place but without people of ability it will languish but people like Mandela and Ghandi are very important in the history of the world

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where to get meladerm in south africa? [ 2 Answers ]

Am looking for meladerm civant product, any outlets in johannesburg southafrica.pliz help.

View more questions Search