Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shtmtlchk13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 03:08 PM
    The oil burner is cycling on and off
    The oil burner will kick in when calling for heat but will only run for about 2.5 minutes then kick off while the fan motor continues to run (not burner fan), then the burner kicks in again. This happens up to 4 times during the cycle period. What are the possible causes of this cycling on and off the burner? I've changed the thermostat which was needed. New transformer, there is soot on the view portal, flue has soot, cad cell tests fine, primary control is making a hum.
    [email protected]
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 AM
    This sounds like the heat exchanger is getting too hot. It could be cutting out the burner on high limit. It is possible the heat exchanger or your a/c coil if you have one could be blocked. Do you get any heat out of your registers when the fan is running. Are your cold air returns all open and free of obstacles? What is the make and model of furnace?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2013, 08:49 PM
    If you are seeing soot, it's past time for a cleaning & service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burner cycling [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 314GAW000100 gas furnace that lights off several times and extinguishes before remaining on to start a heating cycle. It is not consistent. Sometimes the burners light off immediately and other times cycling a few times before lighting off. Any ideas?

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

Beckett oil burner cycling in slow motion [ 0 Answers ]

At 7pm I was in the basement and heard my recently installed Beckett oil burner motor come on but it wasn't turning at full speed it sounded like it was turning slower than usual this continued for a few minuets.(only happened once) . A while later the burner came on normally and shut off normally....

Heil furnace short cycling of burner [ 1 Answers ]

My 1983 heil model NUGK075DG01, natural gas, forced air furnace is running but only heats the house to 67 degrees no matter how high I set the temp, the fan continuously runs (in auto on thermostat) and the burner will cycle for 3-4 min. then shut-off for 10 min.. I have powered down and back-on,...

Oil burner Blower cycling on and off [ 2 Answers ]

Just finished with a new second floor addition. Upgraded to two zone heating from single zone. When heat comes on after expected delay for temp to rise the blower comes on for fifteen seconds then kicks off and comes on again in about two or three minutes, and kicks off again in fifteen seconds, on...

View more questions Search