Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wowconqerer99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 02:14 PM
    Stealing and Lying... breaking myself
    Hi. I'm a new member here, and I desperately need help. Since I was a child, I've been stealing and lying, and lying and stealing but I've never been punished for it so I find it harder and harder to stop. I recognize that this is unhealthy for myself, and others have talked to me about this as well. I steal my dad's belongings and use them when he needs them more than I do. Instead of telling him I did it when he already knew it was me, I lied about it, and now he's taken away many of my privileges simply because he does not trust me anymore. These privileges he's taken from me don't affect me at all, so I don't care about trying to convince him to give them back to me, I really need help with 1) a way to stop habitually lying and stealing from everyone I know and 2) a way to talk to my dad. I don't need an idea to spark up a conversation, I need a way to be able to approach him and at least get his trust back if nothing else...
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 02:18 PM
    Why have you been doing this? You know it is a problem. Until you know why you do it then you're going to be hard pressed to fix it.

As well, trust lost is hard to gain back and you might not be able to regain it. Contemplate that for a while as well.
    wowconqerer99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 08:24 PM
    I do it because I know he can replace every last bit of it, but I don't know how my mind justifies doing it anyway and it's truly hurting my state of mind. Ever since I had the need to get help it's been wearing me down, down to conclusions that I'm almost certain can't be a possibility.
    He's claimed to trust me so much... perhaps it's the idea of his trust I need... I just don't know.
    pwooden Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Dec 4, 2013, 08:38 PM
    Congratulations on admitting you've done wrong and wanting to change. This is not going to be easy, and you'll need someone on your side. I think that's how you need to approach your Dad. Ask for his advice on how you can turn your life around and earn his trust. Maybe you can come up with the best punishment for yourself if you backslide. Don't be too hard on yourself, but think of something that might actually work and tell your Dad you expect this punishment in the future. Good luck!
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 08:50 AM
    Because he can replace it all? I don't think that is the reason. That is the justification not the reason.

What do you do with the stuff once you steal it?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 5, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Stealing in children is a craving for love, mostly. Some say a need for attention, but that's the same thing. It's also power when feeling powerless. It can get out of hand if a child is severely punished the first time he does it, and almost all children steal a bit as a test of their power. A good parent sits the child down and explains, without flying off the handle.
    So does any of that click with you? Is something missing in your life, something emotional, a feeling of being appreciated and loved?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2013, 09:38 AM
    Hello w:
    I really need help with 1) a way to stop habitually lying and stealing from everyone I know and 2) a way to talk to my dad.
    This is easy, and hard at the same time. The NEXT time you're about to steal, DON'T. The next time you're about to lie, DON'T. You HAVE the ability to DO that. It's a SIMPLE matter of DOING it.

Now, it'll be HARD, because ONE part of you is gonna YELL and SCREAM when you walk away. So what?

Once you DO that, mention it to your dad.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lying and Stealing [ 3 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I have been caught stealing three times now. I have straight a's and have never been in any trouble around town. I am very well known for all the good things I do around our small town. However, my mom never seems to appreciate what I do in school or out of school. I was...

Lying and stealing [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old son that constantly lies and steals from his parents. We have tried many ways to stop this behavior but he just continues. Is there and help for this type of problem? There has been two occasions where he stayed over at someone's house and items got missing and we believe...

Compulsive lying and stealing no hope? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I am eve33, I joined this site for answers of questions that I have carried with me since 7 years ago, deal with a child that is my biological son and realizing that the problems he is having even today has or had nothing to do with me. I have come to terms that anything that I have tried,...

Compulsive stealing and lying [ 3 Answers ]

I have been recently discovered that my mother has a problem with stealing. She has been a chronic lyar and now this is new. She is 79 years old. Is this a common problem in the elderly? Please help me to learn ways in which I can help her.

Stealing and Lying [ 1 Answers ]

My Son used to steal money for drugs. He has been clean for six months now and is tested constantly by the legal system to make sure of this. I thought the stealing would stop, but he still steals money from us, items from his brother, my prescription pills at times to sell for money. I keep them...

View more questions Search