Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Foreclosure
    Hi, I live with my brother and he will be losing his house, the foreclosure process has begun. Does the bank have to give any notice of when they will be locking up the house so we can remove all our personal property? We live in NJ. Thanks for the answers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2013, 06:39 PM
    They will give him notice of the date of the auction. From there he will have 90 days to vacate.

Dec 5, 2013, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    They will give him notice of the date of the auction. From there he will have 90 days to vacate.
    Thank you Scott, you're a gem.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 07:28 AM
    I don't know that it would be 90 days. It would depend upon NJ state law. OP does not appear to be a bona fide tenant of the mortgage borrower, so the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act doesn't apply, if that's what you are thinking.

Dec 5, 2013, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I don't know that it would be 90 days. It would depend upon NJ state law. OP does not appear to be a bona fide tenant of the mortgage borrower, so the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act doesn't apply, if that's what you are thinking.
    I just want to know can they lock him out of his house without giving him time to gather up his belongings?
    Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 07:44 AM
    If he hasn't left when, after the auction, the purchaser desires possession, application will be made to the court for a writ of possession. A hearing might be scheduled, OP would have the right to be heard, and the writ would be served on the OP. Bottom line: OP would be given a few days notice.

Dec 5, 2013, 07:48 AM
    If he hasn't left when, after the auction, the purchaser desires possession, application will be made to the court for a writ of possession. A hearing might be scheduled, OP would have the right to be heard, and the writ would be served on the OP. Bottom line: OP would be given a few days notice.
    Sorry I'm a little dense today (OP)?

Dec 5, 2013, 07:49 AM
    Would that also mean the bank would have to give him a few days? Thanks
    Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 07:57 AM
    "OP" is shorthand for "original poster", i.e.: you.

Yes, the bank, if it is the high-bidder at the foreclosure sale, would have to give him a few days.

You need to understand how the foreclosure process works in order to understand my previous replies. The bank goes to court and asks that the property be sold. Anybody can bid at the sale, although the bank frequently is the only bidder. The amount paid is used toward payment of the loan. The bank, if it was the highest bidder, otherwise someone else, then acquires title to the property.

But yes, he would get a few days.

Dec 5, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Ok thanks, that what I was looking for, also I've been called many things before but never an "OP"! I'm offended. Lol

"OP" is shorthand for "original poster", i.e.: you.

Yes, the bank, if it is the high-bidder at the foreclosure sale, would have to give him a few days.

You need to understand how the foreclosure process works in order to understand my previous replies. The bank goes to court and asks that the property be sold. Anybody can bid at the sale, although the bank frequently is the only bidder. The amount paid is used toward payment of the loan. The bank, if it was the highest bidder, otherwise someone else, then acquires title to the property.

But yes, he would get a few days.

Dec 5, 2013, 09:39 AM
    The OP is a tenant, but living with the owner, his brother. Therefore, it is the owner who will be given time to vacate. The OP will not have to vacate before the brother does. So the brother should be given 90 days.
    Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 09:44 AM
    I don't mean to argue, but does New Jersey law give a mortgagor 90 days to vacate after a foreclosure sale? Because that is what you are saying.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 5, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Summary of New Jersey's Foreclosure Laws | Nolo.com

It says no notice is required (to those named).

Also, from another site I saw, NJ foreclosure can name the owner and anyone else living there.
    So a question would be if you were named or not.

Dec 5, 2013, 10:31 AM
    Did the federal law expire?
    Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Did the federal law expire?
    Did you read my post near the beginning of this thread in which I linked to the sticky? As I indicated, that law does not apply. The brother is a mortgage borrower, not a tenant. And OP doesn't appear to be a bona fide tenant either. Of course, if OP is paying market-value rent to the brother, I would be wrong (about Tricky), but I didn't read it that way.

Dec 5, 2013, 05:22 PM
    No AK, you got it right, not paying full freight but all I really care about is having enough time to remove our property before they lock up the place. Thanks

Did you read my post near the beginning of this thread in which I linked to the sticky? As I indicated, that law does not apply. The brother is a mortgage borrower, not a tenant. And OP doesn't appear to be a bona fide tenant either. Of course, if OP is paying market-value rent to the brother, I would be wrong (about Tricky), but I didn't read it that way.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 5, 2013, 07:04 PM
    Doesn't look like you read my post...

Dec 5, 2013, 07:45 PM
    Sorry Joy, no I didn't but now I did, it seems the process has just begun because he just started getting a lot of mail from lawyers wanting to "help". Lol Sorry AK
    So it's only after the property is actually sold at the sheriffs sale that no notice is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Doesn't look like you read my post...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently in foreclosure and the bank effective 01012012 stated that they would not accept my payments. I then called them and spoke with a gentlemen that set me up on a six month payment plan 2898 due by the 15th of each month. I called last month they stated that they couldn't take my...

Foreclosure Help [ 24 Answers ]

My mother died in 2006 and the house after probate etc was quik claim deeded over to me. There was a mortgage in mom's name, not mine, and since then they have been trying to manipulate a foreclosure. When they do this they refuse to talk to me as I am not on the loan documents. Now they have...

I'm in foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

Does a judge have the power to reverse a dicision to lower my monthly payment according to my income even if my lender states I do not make enough to cover a payment that they want me to make.

What to do Foreclosure? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NV, My home is going to more than likely go into foreclosure. I owe more thatn the house is worth.Property Values are going down and I am in a Negative Amortization loan w/a PPP. Can the bank Sue me or go after me for the difference in the balance? Would it be better to file...

View more questions Search