Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexiiilynn1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 11:22 AM
    Does anyone know of this is true?
    I said something about this in my last question, but does anyone know if drinking green tea, adding cinnamon to your diet l, and eating some spicy foods actually boosts your metabolism a little bit? Has anyone had results with it while exercising?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2013, 11:31 AM
    Myth... what you need to do is exercise more... that ups you metabolism... and don't crash diet... that is guaranteed to slow it down.

Humans evolved to survive famines by slowing down metabolism to get through periods of little food...a crash diet fools the body into believeing there is a famine so it slows down metabolism to make more use of the calories you do consume. And it doesn't speed back up as quickly as it will slow down.

Dec 4, 2013, 11:53 AM
    Thanks! I'm just starting to get really frustrated, I'm a normal size and not over weight for my height and age.. but I have this really stubborn fat on my belly that will not get smaller no matter what I do. I exercise and exercise with my diet and it doesn't go away!
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Myth... what you need to do is exercise more... that ups you metabolism... and don't crash diet... that is guaranteed to slow it down.

Humans evolved to survive famines by slowing down metabolism to get through periods of little food...a crash diet fools the body into believeing there is a famine so it slows down metabolism to make more use of the calories you do consume. And it doesn't speed back up as quickly as it will slow down.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2013, 12:06 PM
    Nope it won't be easy... and it is possible even with the correct targeted exercises it might not go away.

Abdominal exercise must be done correctly or it might completely miss the targeted area... and they are easy to do wrong.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexiiilynn1 View Post
    Thanks! I'm just starting to get really frustrated, I'm a normal size and not over weight for my height and age.. but I have this really stubborn fat on my belly that will not get smaller no matter what I do. I exercise and exercise with my diet and it doesn't go away!
    What you need to do is drink at least eight glasses of water a day.

What type of work out do you do ?

Dec 4, 2013, 12:21 PM
    I do cardio and Pilates. Pilates worked to give me muscle but its hard to see with the small amount of fat I have over it! I'm about at my end with it because it does not go away!
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    What you need to do is drink at least eight glasses of water a day.

What type of work out do you do ?

Dec 4, 2013, 12:32 PM
    Yeah its definitely not easy! I wish there was a way to post pictures so I could show you exactly what I mean but I can't!
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Nope it won't be easy... and it is possible even with the correct targeted exercises it might not go away.

Abdominal exercise must be done correctly or it might completely miss the targeted area... and they are easy to do wrong.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 12:34 PM
    stubborn fat on my belly that will not get smaller no matter what I do. I exercise and exercise with my diet and it doesn't go away!
    My husband had a bit of a gut (belly fat), so for two weeks he stopped eating anything that had any kind of grain or flour in it. His gut disappeared. This is a variation of the Atkins Diet -- no carbs, so in my husband's case, he simply eliminated all the bread and crackers and buns and cereal. For exercise, he just walked more often -- in parking lots he parked father away from the stores or took stairs instead of elevators/escalators or took two walks around our block each day (instead of one).

Dec 4, 2013, 12:40 PM
    Hmm, I guess I never tried that, I've cut back on it a lot but never stopped. What were some of the things that he did eat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My husband had a bit of a gut (belly fat), so for two weeks he stopped eating anything that had any kind of grain or flour in it. His gut disappeared. This is a variation of the Atkins Diet -- no carbs, so in my husband's case, he simply eliminated all the bread and crackers and buns and cereal. For exercise, he just walked more often -- in parking lots he parked father away from the stores or took stairs instead of elevators/escalators or took two walks around our block each day (instead of one).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
    Hmm, I guess I never tried that, I've cut back on it a lot but never stopped. What were some of the things that he did eat?
    He ate a lot of meats, vegetables, and fruits and even sweet stuff -- he really just cut out all breads, cookies, cake, crackers, buns, rolls, chips, cereal, oatmeal, or any foods that had grains (wheat, corn, oats, rye, etc.) in them.

Before cattle are shipped to market, to the slaughterhouse, they spend time in huge feedlots eating corn and other grains TO MAKE THEM FAT. Think about that.

Dec 4, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Thanks so much, you've been a great help! That's a good way to put it, I never thought of it that way, and I don't think a lot of people do! Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    He ate a lot of meats, vegetables, and fruits and even sweet stuff -- he really just cut out all breads, cookies, cake, crackers, buns, rolls, chips, cereal, oatmeal, or any foods that had grains (wheat, corn, oats, rye, etc.) in them.

Before cattle are shipped to market, to the slaughterhouse, they spend time in huge feedlots eating corn and other grains TO MAKE THEM FAT. Think about that.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 03:08 PM
    The one thing I have to say is you consult your doctor before starting a new diet. IT is hard to get the right things in the right proportion to maintain proper nutrition and not become deficient in a vitamin or nutrient. Look up the Paleo diet. It is roughly what has been described here.

As said, exercise is important. It is the other half of the caloric equation. The other thing to remember is that the body will mobilize fat almost evenly. So you could work your abs all you want, it won't get rid of the belly fat. You'll have awesome abs, but still fat on top of them.

The supplements tend to make your wallet thinner instead of your belly. Just tossing that out there. It is mostly clever marketing and gullible customers. Think of it, if there was a way to be fit and thin with just a pill, would the obesity as common as it is now?

Be healthy foremost. Then lose the fat.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Pilates is not actually for losing weight. It is to strengthen your core energy same as yoga.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

History homework True or False if false rewrite it to make it true [ 23 Answers ]

Under Hammurabi's code,the penalty for every crime was death

I'd like opinions on how much this article is true or think its true [ 8 Answers ]

What does it mean to be a man today? How can men consciously express their masculinity without becoming cold or closed-hearted on the one hand… or wimpy and emasculated on the other? What’s the most loving way for a conscious man to express himself? Here are 10 ways to live more consciously as a...

Is this true? And what's the best way? [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to xoxolove! Is it true that friction of the jeans to our knees make it dark? Because most of the I wear jeans, because you know I don't have the confidence because of dark knees. And what's the best way to apply lemon? I found lots of procedure in the net and I could not choose the best...

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

View more questions Search