Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Dec 3, 2013, 06:22 PM
    How to find a boat..?
    HI THERE!

I want to track down my stepfather's old boat. He sold it late 90's-early 2000's.

He stated that its difficult to change names of a boat as its a lot of paperwork, so it likely has the same name.

It's a fishing boat, docked in a moor (I think that's what its called).

Does anyone know how to track down a boat? I just want to take some photos to frame for him for Christmas. For memories.

THANKS!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 3, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Are you in the states? Unless this was a commercial fishing boat, I am not so sure that boat names are even a requirement. Years ago my father had a sailboat and it was never even named and there was no requirement to do so.

This quest of yours may be harder than you think. Hopefully someone will come along that can give you an idea of where to start.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2013, 06:57 PM
    That's a stretch. Try your state DNR-Dept of Natural Resources-most states register through them or similar but in GA, boat names other than manufacturers, can be changed at will. It may be a Sea Ray but it can have any name.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 10:48 PM
    Yes I'm in the states. My stepfather is the one that told me that changing boat names is a pain, I do believe it is a commercial fishing boat. He says that he thinks that its now in Portland, Oregon. It's an older boat, I don't recall how old he said that it was though. The name of the is Mary L.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 07:15 AM
    Changing the name of a boat deals with a great deal of nautical lore: believe in the lore then you'd better honor that lore.
    If you don't believe in the lore, then don't. But you may want to research the subject first...
    https://www.boatnames.net/wiki.aspx/boat_name_myth
    Tracking a boat by name any where I've been would only be possible by word of mouth. The boat likely had a VIN or Vessel Identification Number, very similar to the VIN for an automobile.
    Boats are often registered with the state in which you reside and they would be the best source of tracking however they aren't likely going to be able to let that info out.
    Walking the docks is another option but unless you're certain the boat is within a given physical area, that could equal a lot of docks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recourse on a boat dealer that broke my boat [ 1 Answers ]

I brought my boat to a registered colbalt dealer in the beginning of April. They looked at boat and said it was minimal fixing (just a few hoses) and quoted me a price. In May when it was supposed to be done I got no answer. Waited two more weeks (missed having our boat on Memorial weekend) and...

The Love boat [ 499 Answers ]

For all you flirts out there that just can't help yourself. It seems that AMHD needs a dating site, a place for all the singles to get together. Why this is being left up to me I have no idea, but I'm playing cupid nonetheless. ;) So, singles or people that just want to flirt, come on in....

German name for a boat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all! I'm looking for ideas to name my dad's boat; only he wants it to be in German. Does anyone know any good mottos or german quotes that are short and realative in some way (however distant) to boats or the ocean? Any suggestions would be awesome! (and just because I know iit's...

Boat conversion [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to convert a freshwater boat to a saltwater boat? Or does it really matter?

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

View more questions Search