Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatGar115035 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2013, 01:51 PM
    Why do my toilets surge
    I have three toilets in my newer, 3-year-old residence; the toilets will surge throughout the day and night, sometimes several times a minute and may last seconds at a time; I take the cover off the tank and notice the water level is rising. My water bill has increased substantially, and I worry there may be leak in a pipe somewhere in the residence that I can't find. What do you suggest?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 3, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Tell what you mean by surging. Sounds like you are saying that your toilet tanks are leaking and periodically the fill valve opens and refills the tank.
    If that is correct the flush valve (flapper ) is leaking and needs to be replaced.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2013, 03:21 PM
    All three toilets?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 3, 2013, 04:23 PM
    Possibly. Same brand of toilets, same brand of flapper. Flappers all deteriorated at same rate. Could also be chain to flush lever to tight.
    Could be one toilet leaking but hearing it through out the house.
    Could be something else, all depends on what surging means.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2013, 05:59 PM
    Harold, I was directing the question to the OP.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 21, 2013, 09:46 AM
    This could also be an indication of water pressure issues. Are you connected to a municipal water source? If so, and if you have a standard water pressure regulator at the entrance to your home it may have failed.(pressure too high)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would both the surge & ground lights be on on my surge protector, outlet tests OK [ 1 Answers ]

Why would both the surge & ground lights come on and stay on when I plug in and turn on my surge protector? This happens with both a good (expensive) older surge protector and the new one I just bought. I bought a new one after someone suggested my protector wasn't working properly. The new...

I have two toilets in my house. Recently both toilets have stopped fininshing flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets in my house and recently both have stopped flushing completely. Flush starts fine, but at end of flush toilets power seems to stall out. This system is on city sewer service, and until past week or so both toilets were fine. Now I am forced to flush toilets up to three times to...

Surge Bar [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has bought a surge protector bar... when he plugs it in an outlet the red light comes on but the green one does not... which means the outlet is not grounded.. is this safe to use or what should he do Thanks

A surge [ 2 Answers ]

I realize some jobs should be left for the professionals. I want to try with a little help tackle this problem. My lamp post in front gone through over two dozen bulbs in 5 years. I am not sure what is causing the surge to short it out. We bought the house with this problem. I want to fix it. ...

View more questions Search