Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    youngpj730 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Judgement liens on my personal property
    I have a couple judgement liens on my residential property. Since these liens were placed on my property, my mother passed away and my name along with my sister and brothers name was placed on my mothers house. My question is. Where the liens are on my property address can it transfer to my mothers property? I live in the State of Washington.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 12:02 PM
    If a lien is a judgment lien against you personally then it applies to any property you own. It will show up in a judgment search on any property where you are listed as an owner. That includes your current residential property and any property you acquired both before and after the judgment was entered.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 06:42 PM
    The title of the thread refers to "personal property" (i.e.: "chattels"), but OP's question seems to concern real property (land). Judgment liens normally apply to real property.
    Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 06:50 PM
    I think the OP is referring to the lien being against the real property that is his personally vs. being against real property that he owns with others.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 07:00 PM
    That could be. OP doesn't seem to understand that a judgment lien applies to all property in the county in which the judgment lien has been recorded. So his question about "transfering" the lien to his late mother's property is nonsense. If his mother's property (presumably conveyed to him in part by probate) is in the same county, the judgment lien applies to the "mother's" property as well.
    Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 07:32 PM
    I wouldn't call it "nonsense". The OP probably didn't realize that a judgment lien attaches to the person and every property the person owns, rather than attaching to just one property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can personal property be levied when collecting on a judgement against a corporation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, thanks for answering my question. My husband has a business that is incorporated. He was sued by a company he owed money to for materials. (Background info-we owed over $18000 and were paying on it. Had it down to about $8,000 and weren't able to make the big $1,000 payments we were making on...

Mechanics liens and liens against property [ 3 Answers ]

I lent my son in law $10,000 to put down payment on a home about a year and a half ago My question is how do I put a lien on the house and which state do I do it in . I'm in Calif. And the house is isn't Arizona. And do I just record it with the county or court or what?

View more questions Search