Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goliluminado Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2013, 10:48 AM
    DBA status
    Are there any specific forms to file - in order to qualify the DBA and to provide the legal status of the DBA ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 2, 2013, 10:59 AM
    You asked this under Corporate Law, but are you a sole proprieter, using your own name and SSN and a DBA business name? If so, generally there is nothing you need to do. Some states have laws about uses of certain words not being allowed. You can check on your state.gov website. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are new and just starting out.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2013, 09:40 PM
    Check with your local licensing Dept. Some require an "alias " form outlining the name. John Doe DBA JD services for example.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 21, 2013, 03:17 AM
    Each state has different procedures for this. You do know there are 50 of them, right?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2013, 04:56 AM
    It depends on what you want to do with it. For example, my bank required me to register as a DBA with the county (NYS) before it would open a bank account in the business name so I could deposit checks made out to the business.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 21, 2013, 07:50 AM
    A sole proprietor, or in theory another business entity (such as a corporation, partnership, or LLC) can be "doing business as" some trade-name. I, for example, sometimes do "business" as "AK Lawyer, the sarcastic". (as in my previous post).

But my point was that a question for "specific forms" cannot be answered without knowing the specific jurisdiction. While the federal government does regulate an ever-increasing portion of our society, the regulation of the circumstances under which one may use a fictitous name for business purposes is still under state (or perhaps local) perview. Also, you might want to reserve a fictitious name so as to prevent others from using the same name. There are optional procedures for doing that in many places. You should also as a precaution check to see that someone else has not beat you to it, and has already reserved the name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non- Profit Using a DBA [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 501 (c) 3 non-profit org, and I am Setting up a DBA for it. When issuing receipts for donations that are made to the DBA, can I issue the receipt on the stationary of the DBA or must I issue it on the stationary of the parent org. which is the only one registered with the IRS as tax...

DBA's under an LLC? [ 1 Answers ]

1) Do I need to register a .com as a dba of my LLC? 2) Can a 'dba' be called a 'division' of my LLC? i.e. coffeecups.com, a division of MyLLC. 3) Do the dba's need to be a related industry? i.e. can I use 'coffeecups.com' under a financial services dba 4) Does the term 'dba' need to be...

View more questions Search