Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kylamae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
    This chicken keeps pecking me! Why?
    Why do chickens peck each other? I'm a 10 yr old with 14 chickens because 6 died.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Your chickens are not happy Please read all of what I posted here:

Chickens will peck for a number of reasons. They can be: too hot, too crowded, not enough fresh air or short of feeder or waterer space, or to establish the "leader" of the flock. To stop it, try fresh grass clippings, weeds, and lettuce in the pen. In cold weather, fresh hay works.

Murray McMurray Hatchery - Why do chickens peck at each other & what can we do about it?

Also,

Pecking, also called picking, is almost always the result of high stress levels. When that happens, the birds will sometimes pluck each others' feathers out, and can really hurt one another. Those lowest in the pecking order may have bare spots on their backs or their heads.

Many "experts" recommend you de-beak birds with this behavior problem (trim the pointy end of their beaks so they can't injure one another), but we don't. BAD idea! First of all, it's cruel, because it prevents the birds from preening naturally, and from being able to properly forage for small bugs and tasty plants, since they can no longer perform precision pick ups with the tips of their beaks. It can be painful, too, and that will absolutely increase their stress levels. Lastly, it only addresses the symptoms (picking) but not the underlying problem (stress).

Happy chickens don't pick one another! So, to deal with this problem, you have to figure out why they're not happy. Do they have sufficient space? Are there enough feed and water containers to go around? Are there enough nesting boxes? Could they have worms, lice or other parasites? Sometimes even a nutritional deficiency--not enough protein!--will cause them to try eating feathers in an attempt to get what they need for their bodies. Make sure they have plenty of good, high protein layer feed--NOT scratch. (Scratch is too low protein; a diet high is scratch/corn is likely to cause picking.)

Try buying a higher protein feed to see if that helps. Try letting your chickens free range, and see if that solves it. Check for mites, lice and worms. Give them additional feeder space so they don't have to compete for food. Make sure you are letting them eat free choice--don't restrict the amount of food they get every day, or only those highest on the pecking order will get to eat. Talk to your vet if you can't figure out what's going on. If you don't take care of the problem, you run the risk of escalation to the point of cannibalism (seriously).

My flock is pecking one another! What should I do? from My Pet Chicken

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If a chicken eat pig meat than that chicken is halal or not [ 1 Answers ]

If a chicken eat pig meat than that chicken is halal or not

What to Do About Chickens Pecking and Killing at the Butt? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 30 breeds of chickens. But lately in about three cages, they have been killing each other by pecking and eating the butt. What is going on? How do I stop this from happening? Most groups are not crowded, only maybe one group until the new coop is up.

How do I stop chicken pecking chicken [ 2 Answers ]

Help, rescued 6 featherless battery hens, they're recovering well, except one who is picked on, pecked and generally not refeathering- due to attack I think. Should she be isolated? For how long and at bedtime too?

This is really pecking my head in [ 5 Answers ]

OK so the question to blame is if the triangle PQRR has vertices P(-1,2,3), Q(1,1,5), and R(0,4,5) then what is the angle at P (I already know the right answer but my working out doesn't lead to it and I can't see where I'm going wrong) OK so I work out PR and PQ to find the vectors so I...

Woodpeckers pecking my home? [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: I have over the last two years discovered Woodpeckers pecking holes in the side of my house aside from perfect holes and the birds making nest in the holes the rain has gotten in a rotted my wood. Anyway the question is ? If any one knows how to rid them from doing such destruction?

View more questions Search