Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2013, 07:09 PM
    Dr. patient relationship, disputed by patient
    Recent visit to Dr. (in question) resulted in Dr.'s veiled threat of not covering patient under current ins program if said patient did not accept PA 's assessments of said patient condition, in plain words " if I didn't accept the PA working with said Dr. he would not accept me as a patient and indicated he was the only dr who accepted this specific coverage. I felt this to be a threat to my medical well being at the time
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2013, 08:41 PM
    And your question is?

Dec 2, 2013, 01:43 AM
    Is there any legal action available to the patient to counter the Dr.'s threat?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 2, 2013, 02:32 AM
    You are anonymous here. Please state the specifics of the situation.

(A doctor has the right to accept or reject anyone he chooses, and a patient is under no obligation to see a specific doctor, unless it's under a company plan. I'm not seeing a lawsuit so far, because I'm not hearing a threat.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 2, 2013, 05:51 AM
    I don't see any either. Sounds to me like the physician is using a PA to help with his workload and cut costs. Also sounds to me like the patient may have refused to be treated by the PA. So the doctor advised that's how he works and if the patient wants to be treated by him that's how things will work.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 07:35 AM
    A doctor has a right to dictate how his/her office is run. If a doctor requires a patient to see a PA, for treatment then that is his/her right.

A PA works under a doctor's license. This means that if the PA does anything wrong, the doctor can be held responsible.

I don't see a "threat" here. Doctors "fire" patients all the time.

Dec 2, 2013, 01:12 PM
    Ok, thanks for all three responses..
    JC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disclosure of a patient's name to another patient [ 2 Answers ]

Is is a violation of HIPPA law to disclose to one patient, that someone they know is also a patient of the same doctor's office?

On-going doctor patient relationship [ 1 Answers ]

Two weeks a go I had bi-lateral knee replacements in an out of town hospital. Prior to surgery I needed some medical results faxed to the hospital from my local family physicians office to the out of town hospital where I was scheduled for surgery. After repeated requests to my family physicians...

View more questions Search