Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tebutts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2005, 11:17 AM
    Water pressure boost
    Can anyone suggest a wway to boost water pressure for a house on a well. We have a ozone water treatment system for the whole house which removes all the iron from the water. This is a commercial size unit and is capable of treating 20 gpm and is also used to treat our sprinkler water. It does seem to decrease the water pressure and I was looking for a way to increase it. Thanks.

Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2005, 01:09 PM
    Home water systems often start with lower pressure than city water. Well water usually has minerals in it that can build up and reduce flow. If that is true, you get good flow the instant you open a faucet, but quickly diminish. You may have even knocked deposits loose when you installed the ozone unit. If you have any galvanized fittings or pipes, I would start with them checking for clogged pipes.

How does the unit work? To remove the iron, it must precipitate out and be filtered off. The unit must have something in the way of a filter. Does it back flush down the drain? The filter may need cleaned or replaced.

What is the pressure at the pump? I think the standard setting is on at 30 and off at 60 psi. You could try adjusting the pressure switch. Turning it up increases the load on your pump.

Feb 13, 2005, 04:01 PM
    Labman,

Thanks for replying. The water is constant pressure, not terribly low, just lower than I would like. I have had other houses with wells before, with better pressure. The ozone system was installed with the well, it was new construction 8 years ago. The pressure has not changed since the beginning. The system works by injecting O3 (ozone) into the water as it enters the house and then enters an off-gasing tank. The iron oxidizes and precipitates out and the water is passed to very large carbon filters (about 50in by 12in each). The filters backwash nightly into the septic field. I was told that the filters need to be rebedded about every 7 years and I had it done 2 years ago at 6 years of use. No change before or after.

The pressure gauge at the reservoir tank reads 50 psi. I guess that the filters are just going to cause a pressure drop that I have to live with. Would the water pressure boosters that I have seen would help?

Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2005, 07:07 AM
    Water pressure boost
    Quote Originally Posted by tebutts
    Can anyone suggest a wway to boost water pressure for a house on a well. We have a ozone water treatment system for the whole house which removes all the iron from the water. This is a commercial size unit and is capable of treating 20 gpm and is also used to treat our sprinkler water. It does seem to decrease the water pressure and I was looking for a way to increase it. Thanks.

Tom
    Good morning Tom,
    At 50 PSI at your pressure tank you are within normal limits, (45 to 50 PSI) What are your pressure readings AFTER the fiter system? In other words, what is your house pressure now and what would you like to raise it to?However if you wish to raise your pressure at the pump and before it enters the filtering system let me show you how.
    Your pump has a pressure control. As a rule this will be a Square D (small bluish gray box the wires go into). I'm going to assume that you have a "square D pumptrol and that it has a 30 PSI cut in and a 50 PSI cut off setting. First turnoff the power at the breaker box, then pull the cover off the pressure switch and you will see two spring loaded bolts secured with nylon nuts. One tall, one short. To increase the cut in pressure, turn the nut on the tall bolt down. To increase the cut out pressure,(that's the one that will give you more pressure) turn the nut on the short bolt down. This should give you the additional pressure you desire. Good luck, another Tom

Feb 14, 2005, 06:27 PM
    Thanks Speedball. I'll try and ffigure out how to check the pressure after the filters. I was told that you have to be careful with the pressure due to the possibility of exceeding the wells output ability. I'm going to try and find my original well specs and//or call the well company. Thanks again.

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

TZ Connection Boost [ 2 Answers ]

Does it work? Is there any hidden files I don't want in it? Viruses? Trojans? etc. Is it legal? Would this fix my ping in games?

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search