Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moniie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2013, 01:08 PM
    Month to month tenant
    How do I go about evicting a tenant that is on a month to month lease . The reason I want her gone is because I'm planning on selling my house plus she owes me back rent from last year .

Nov 30, 2013, 01:09 PM
    Month to month tenant
    How do I go about evicting a tenant that is on a month to month lease in Albany, NY . The reason I want her gone is because I'm planning on selling my house plus she owes me back rent from last year .
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 30, 2013, 01:10 PM
    You're going to have to give your tenant a written notice that the tenancy is terminated and they must move out within xx days. The exact number of days depends on the state where the property is located. Tell us where you are and we'll tell you the number.

If they haven't moved out within that time then you need to file a lawsuit for eviction.
    Expert

Nov 30, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Ah... just saw your other thread so I merged them.

In NY you are required to give a tenant 30 days written notice to terminate their tenancy. You are not required to give them a reason for termination.

If you want you can give a shorter notice for non-payment of rent but if they pay the amount in full at any time up until the court date then you will have to start all over again with a new 30 day notice. So your best bet is to give them a 30 day notice now.

Nov 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Ah... just saw your other thread so I merged them.

In NY you are required to give a tenant 30 days written notice to terminate their tenancy. You are not required to give them a reason for termination.

If you want you can give a shorter notice for non-payment of rent but if they pay the amount in full at any time up until the court date then you will have to start all over again with a new 30 day notice. So your best bet is to give them a 30 day notice now.

Do I have to take her to court ?
    Expert

Nov 30, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moniie View Post
    Do I have to take her to court ?
    If she doesn't move out by the date on the notice then yes, you have to take her to court to evict her. You can't just change the locks or anything like that. You have to file a lawsuit for eviction.

Nov 30, 2013, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    If she doesn't move out by the date on the notice then yes, you have to take her to court to evict her. You can't just change the locks or anything like that. You have to file a lawsuit for eviction.
    Ok does the termination notice have to be notarized or can I just write it on a piece of paper and put it in her mailbox ?
    Expert

Nov 30, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Notarization isn't necessary. You can write it out but make sure you sign it. Also it would be a good idea to hand it to her rather than putting it in her mailbox. Then you can tell the court that you served it on her and she can't claim she didn't receive it.

Make sure you keep a copy of the notice for yourself!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2013, 02:54 PM
    You may have to prove you gave her notice. So having it served by a process server or sending it via certified mail may be options.

Nov 30, 2013, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You may have to prove you gave her notice. So having it served by a process server or sending it via certified mail may be options.
    Ok thank you

Dec 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moniie View Post
    Ok thank you
    If my tenant owes me money but there are things that need to be fixed within the home can I wait for payment to fix them or do I have to do it now ?
    Expert

Dec 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
    If repairs are required then you need to fix them regardless of whether your tenant has paid the rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is Florida tenant rights with going month to month after a years lease [ 1 Answers ]

We signed a years lease 08/01/2011 and our lease is up, we were just going month to month after the year was up and now the property management people are saying the owners want another year lease signed or we have to be out and in our original lease it is in there after one year lease we had the...

What is the required notice time to evict a month to month tenant in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

I have a basement tenant who has been slow pay. No trouble, just can't pay on time. He does pay before it is 30 days late, but I want to ask him to leave. How much notice do I have to give him? 60 days? 30 days? What if he decides not to pay rent during this time? I don't have a written lease.

My tenant has a month-to-month lease and has not paid rent-- NYC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a subletter in my apartment and she only has an oral agreement to stay here and she has been here for more than 30 days. First, she said she'd move at the end of last month, but on the last day she told us she was staying. When my husband asked her for the rent, she started screaming...

Giving notice to a month-to-month tenant w/ no written agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I really want to move my current tenant out of the guesthouse. He never cleans and has an unsightly and dangerously huge pile of used computer parts, newspapers and old mail in the middle of the kitchen floor, despite being asked repeatedly to remove it. How much notice must I give him, and...

Delaware month to month tenant notification of moving out [ 2 Answers ]

Information on the Delaware notification of intent to vacate premises for month to month Tenants. Property management office states you need to give them sixty day notice And then I heard you only have to get a 30 day notice which is it. :confused: royal

View more questions Search