Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 08:04 PM
    How to start a blog
    It's something I've wanted to do for a while. I love to write (which is evident in the very long essay like answers I give on this site). It's a passion, but one that isn't fulfilled. Frankly, I don't know if I could manage it without inspiration from others, which is why I love this site, love fb, I can respond to others, which is when I write my best stuff.

I have to admit, I'm like a parasite, I feed off others. When someone writes something, it's easy to write a response, because they've given me the material I need to write with. On my own I'm not sure I'd be at all good at it.

Not to toot my own horn. Not at all.

But, here's the issue. I'd love to start a blog, but I have no idea how to do it. Computers are a mystery. I'm still shocked that I figured out AMHD and fb. So how do you start a blog? How much does it cost? How do I do it?

You can critique my posts, I'd welcome that. I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time with a blog. But, the main question is how to start a blog. I have no idea how to begin this, what to do. Step by step instructions would be much appreciated.

Now I have to figure out where to post this thread. Computers? Discussions? No idea.

Help!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 08:13 PM
    There are many free sites where you can start a blog. But first and foremost you need to make a outline for yourself as to what you want your blog to be. Some blogs are political and some are tech blogs etc. Without direction it just becomes babbling. So if you have an interest and you want to persue it through words then that is the direction you can take.
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    There are many free sites where you can start a blog. But first and foremost you need to make a outline for yourself as to what you want your blog to be. Some blogs are political and some are tech blogs etc. Without direction it just becomes babbling. So if you have an interest and you want to persue it through words then that is the direction you can take.
    So I have to pick a cause? I can't just post whatever is on my mind that day, whatever I'm passionate about that day, or just post to relieve the stress? I have to stick to one topic, and that's it? :(

That sucks! :(
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 08:20 PM
    No you dont have to. What Im saying is you have to pick a direction to go it. If your making it an open blog about your thoughts then consider the name carefully and make a outline for that purpose. The thing you want to remember is that you want to attract readers. Readers like consistency of some kind and that is what keeps them returning.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2013, 08:31 PM
    Check out Wordpress. You don't have to blog on anything specific. You can just both personal musings experiences, opinions etc. Whether you get a following or not depends on word of mouth.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
    Writing a blog would be a piece of cake for you! Blogs were made for Alty type people (i.e., writers).

I used WordPress at first when the AMHD started, but Ram made it even easier for a blog here. My own blog is on blogspot which I find "friendlier" to use but a bit more restrictive as to what I can do than WordPress.

I've been after a friend to write a blog. She started and ran a neighborhood dinner party group for two years (until they decided to take turns), so has wild and funny dinner-party stories, lots of recipes and photos, and advice for anyone wanting to start a dinner party group. She traveled to Italy several years ago and has great stories (and photos) about that. She has three children, including a set of twins, one of whom has Crohn's disease (lots of stories and parental advice in all that). She lives near scenic areas in the eastern U.S., so has lots of vacation photos. She has two sisters and one brother (who is the oldest), so of course she has stories and photos about growing up.

You could easily match her story for story, Alty. And I bet you have tons of photos that you could post to enhance each blog post. You can create "categories" or "chapters" on your blog in which you tell about the various times and people in your life..

A good example that I check every morning is this one (she adopted a 10-day-old orphaned coyote after she moved to Wyoming from New York City and now has a bunch of animals she calls her "Farmily") --

web site: The Daily Coyote

blog: HONEY ROCK DAWN (used to be on WordPress)

Another good one is written by "Asparagus Girl" (Canadian) who writes on WordPress about her experiences with Asperger's syndrome: The Asperger Café | Pull up a chair, enjoy a specialty coffee, rearrange the cutlery… ;-)

Be a blogger, Alty! You have a lot of cool stuff to talk about. It can be once a week, every day, or whenever you feel like it.
    dreamworthsolut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2014, 02:15 AM
    Blog must contain keywords which is you decided and content is always related to the website. Content is not copied and should have meaningfull.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 6, 2014, 02:20 PM
    I have a free blog for you to write on....get to work and start writing!
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2014, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I have a free blog for you to write on....get to work and start writing!
    I'm on it odinn. But genius doesn't happen over night you know. ;)
    Entomology Expert

Mar 6, 2014, 05:12 PM
    LOL! Jes' messin' with ya.
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2014, 06:00 PM
    LOL! Jes' messin' with ya.
    Nagging is good, it gets me off my butt and gets me working. So nag away.

Oops, I think I just called you a nag. ;)
    Entomology Expert

Mar 6, 2014, 06:52 PM
    I've been called worse by lesser people.
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2014, 07:20 PM
    I've been called worse by lesser people.
    Biting tongue! Tongue bleeding! Too easy! Don't go for the easy shot! Back away! Back away! ;)
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2014, 02:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Nagging is good, it gets me off my butt and gets me working. So nag away.
    Well I'll do some nagging also. I've been waiting for some "Alty wisdom".
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    Well I'll do some nagging also. I've been waiting for some "Alty wisdom".
    Awwww. Now it does depend on the wisdom you seek. I know a lot about a few things, nothing about most things, and a little about enough things to make me dangerous. ;)
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2014, 05:56 PM
    All that, and interesting, is what makes you one of my favorites here. I believe your blog will be a great success.
    Entomology Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 05:58 PM
    All that, and interesting, is what makes you one of my favorites here. I believe your blog will be a great success.
    So do I! And HER success will ultimately help MY success!

So why...why must I wait?

START WRITING, WOMAN!
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 06:09 PM
    Okay, you choked me up. I'm typing with tears in my eyes. Damn hormones! That is so sweet! I'm truly honored to be one of your favorites. You just made my day.
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 06:12 PM
    So do I! And HER success will ultimately help MY success!

So why...why must I wait?

START WRITING, WOMAN!
    I'm writing, I'm writing! Geesh! Glad you're not my boss. I'd have to smack you! ;)

Right now the problem is which topic to choose. I have a few in mind, and you should know, your voice is now in my head when I sleep, and I've only been dreaming about the blogs I need to write. I hate laying in bed with perfect posts popping in my head, only to wake up and forget all of it! I need a mini recorder by my bed.
    Entomology Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 07:36 PM
    LOL...I don't mean to cause you any real stress. You're just obviously the one for this since you are "the crazy pet lady".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How To Start Your Very Own Blog [ 3 Answers ]

How To Start Your Very Own Blog In Fifty-One Easy Steps! Interested in the blogging scene? Confused how to go about setting up your very own blog? Follow these fifty-one easy steps and you'll be a blogger in no time! 1. Find a free blogging service, such as Blogger: Create your Blog Now --...

How do I start a blog? [ 5 Answers ]

Are these post a question and answers posted considered blogging? Is blogging public? Is Twitter considered a blog?

View more questions Search