Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandenv22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Why does my 98 Ford Ranger 2.5L always stay cold?
    Replaced radiator (due to small leak), hoses and thermostat (thought thermostat was stuck open). Temp gage needle stays under cold. When the needle finally gets to the cold mark I turn on the heat and it will give me heat for 3-6 sec and again drop to under cold. Needle will not go pass the cold mark no matter how long I am driving. Fan constantly stays on.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
    Did you try unplugging the fan and see if it warms up? Have you tried blocking the face of the radiator with cardboard and see if it warms up? Are you sure all your hoses are routed properly ?
    joannelemke Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2013, 08:22 PM
    Something is definitely very wrong. Be extremely careful not to drive long distances before taking the car to a mechanic.

It sounds as though the coolant is not circulating properly. The heater in the car is dependent on the heat from the coolant. And the temp gauge is probably measuring coolant temperature. But the fan is probably reading from a different sensor and knows that the engine is running hot.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 29, 2013, 07:46 AM
    I would have the cooling fan system tested and I may also recommend another thermostat from another source (in case the replacement is faulty... remember "NEW" stands for Never Ever Worked... )
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 29, 2013, 09:51 AM
    I had a 99 Ranger with the V-6 in it and it had an old style mechanical fan with a fan clutch on it. It was doing the same thing. The fan clutch was bad and that was causing the fan to constantly be spinning which wouldn't allow the engine to really ever get warm. I replaced the fan clutch and that solved the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c problems 2001 ford ranger xlt won't blow cold till on an extended period [ 1 Answers ]

a/c 2001 ford ranger 3.0 won't blow cold air good air just doesn't cool down

I have a 91 Ford Ranger 4X4 automatic transmission will not stay engaged [ 0 Answers ]

The truck until it is warmed up will not shift from second into drive.Once you get driving acts OK but then the rpms go up and down and it starts to slip.Overdrive same thing. We have changed the transmission fluid,filter, vacuum diapharm, and adjusted the kick down cable.We are at a loss thought...

Ford ranger 2.3 [ 1 Answers ]

Does the harmonic balancer need to be removed to install a new timing belt on a 4 cyl. Ford motor 2.3 1995

Ford Ranger [ 1 Answers ]

2001 Ranger. I found dangling down from left side rear a hose with a cilp. It was attached to the axle housing. What is it for and where does it go. It just appears to be some type of air hose but is not attached to anything at other end. Should I be concerned? Thanks

92 Ford Ranger 2.3L [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone, what problems does the Check Engine light going on usually indicate? I was coming home tonight, about an hour highway drive and the light momentarily came on, then off, on and off. Not a flicker, but for several minutes at a time. Truck is VERy reliable and there is no indication that...

View more questions Search