Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ultra Well Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2013, 05:40 PM
    Weil mclain ultra 105 code 18 problems
    My Weil McLain Ultra 105 boiler has been kicking code 18 for several years. No tech has been able to find the problem. All known sensors have been changed. The circulator pumps have been changed. The boiler temperature has been adjusted to 180 degrees. It continues to lock out on code 18
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2013, 07:52 PM
    What is a code 18? Different manufactuers may use the same code for different problems.

Nov 28, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady White View Post
    What is a code 18? Different manufactuers may use the same code for different problems.
    Sorry, a code 18 on this particular unit is: "High limit operation-burner off until outlet temp drops below 200 degrees F.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2013, 02:36 PM
    Has anyone actually measured the boiler temperature with other than devices installed on the boiler?

Nov 30, 2013, 04:00 AM
    The actual temperature has been measured. The sweep gauge is off; but, the digital gauge temperature is within a couple of degrees. The temperature at the sensor is also within a couple of degrees.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Sounds like you just can't get rid of the heat as fast as the boiler makes it. Not being familiar with that particular boiler, is it a modulating & if so, can you actually watch or hear it modulate?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2013, 12:59 PM
    Most common problem with this code is incorrect piping of the boiler. Most likely the boiler loop didn't get piped, or piping is incorrectly sized. The ultras are very clear on piping in the install manual. Anything other than what is required will cause this issue. Basically you don't have enough flow or volume through the boiler and the temp rise is happening to fast causing it to overshoot the temp setting, hence the lockout. Was this boiler professionally installed? These are not like the old time boilers where you have an in and out and life is good. These are extremely efficient boilers (when installed correctly) and very temper mental when not installed correctly. Lots of things could be causing this. Are your zones controlled by pumps, or zone valves? Most zone valves are very restrictive, but will work as long as the boiler piping is done correctly. Can you post some pics of the piping directly above and near the boiler?

Dec 2, 2013, 12:01 PM
    The boiler was professionally installed; but, perhaps they did not pipe it exactly as it should have been installed. Everyone makes a mistake from time to time. Your answer makes complete sense. And you're right. When it works correctly, it is a great boiler. Here are some pictures of the piping. Thanks
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just looking for some input on weil mclain ultra boilers [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys. If any of you have worked on or installed ultra boilers, what kind of luck have you had with them, and if you have had problems, what were they. Have you found draft inducers to be problematic? Any other problems you have encountered? If so, please let me know what you have found. ...

Weil mclain ultra 230 problems with display? [ 0 Answers ]

I powered up the Weil-Mclain Ultra 230 that I installed, and the display was blue... but totally blank... What could be the cause of this ?

Weil-mclain ultra 155 [ 3 Answers ]

I have power to my boiler because the fan is running, but no power to the electronics. So no firing, no sensing and no heat. Are there fuses in there that could be blown? Unit is 2 years old.

Weil mclain ultra boiler [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Ultra 155 boiler with an indirect 40 gal DWH. 4 zones, plus prioritized domestic water Taco switching relay. The system uses 4 taco cartridge circulators for the four zones plus one for the DWH. It constantly goes off (at least once every other week in the winter) on a too much flow...

Weil mclain ultra boiler HARD LOCKOUT CODE 12 [ 0 Answers ]

My Weil Mclain Ultra 80 Boiler display shows a hard lockout code E12... Pressing the reset button does nothing... ie the display will not then change back to the normal standby or operating mode... Removing the thermostat wires and then jumpering the thermostat terminals 5 and 6 on the low...

View more questions Search