Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ma123nu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
    Psychology
    Hi everybody,
    I am an engineering student who has always been fascinated by psychology .So I downloaded a bunch of books about psychology but it seems there are too many of them and that makes me so confused,I don't know where to start.

Could anyone tell me which books should I read first as a beginner?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Is there an area you want to start with? Do you want to read textbook-type books on psychology? If that's the case, I'd recommend something about the Theories of Personality (or a similar title) and something about Abnormal Psychology. You also might want to page through one of the DSM editions (the official handbook of mental illnesses).

Or do you want to read some of the best self-help books to see what the general population is reading?

Your academic and public libraries should have all sorts of good stuff on their shelves. What have you downloaded?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
    As you read, make a list of famous names too, from Freud, Jung, Horney, etc, and plan to read some of their books.
    ma123nu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2013, 12:30 PM
    I am more interested to read about abnormal psychology.It would be great if someone can recommend me with books which can enlighten me with the basics of abnormal psychology.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
    Understanding basic psychology is the basis for understanding abnormal psychology.
    If you just want to jump in the middle in a non-scholarly way, try
    DEVIANT BEHAVIOR
    Alex D. Thio, Jim D. Taylor, Martin D. SchwartzISBN-10: 020520516X
    ISBN-13: 9780205205165
    for a textbook,

and 'Confessions of a Sociopath' for a biography.

For mental illness, start with the DSM manual Wondergirl mentioned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Psychology [ 3 Answers ]

The process of cutting holes in the skull of a person with the symptoms of a mental disorder is a part of traditional exorcism? A: True B: False

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

Psychology for life today--exam 5? It is important for a leader to have which of the following in common with people in the group he/she leads? (a) Education and training (b) Abilities and skills (c) Values and goals 2. A group of occupations which require similar training and abilities is...

Psychology [ 6 Answers ]

I am going to college next fall, and I am thinking abou majoring in psychology. I am having trouble finding fields of work, and careers that go along with this major. Could anyone help me out?

Psychology [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I had to answer this question for class : Rochelle is taking a test in which she is asked to come up with as many different ways as possible to make use of a straw. This is most likely a test of a) analytical thinking ...

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

Alice expresses guilt that she may have caused Lauren's disorder, and is also concerned that it might occur again in future offspring. What would you advise her in terms of preventive actions, available testing, and reproduction options?

View more questions Search