Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachell21 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Can my boyfriend adopt
    I have a 20 month old son and my boyfriend is wanting to adopt and he has been here since I was 3 months pregnant ha has done any and everything for that baby hid bio father doensnt want anything to do with him so anyone out there has any advice for me:confused:
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Mar 30, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachell21
    i have a 20 month old son and my boyfriend is wanting to adopt and he has been here since i was 3 months pregnent ha has done any and everything for that baby hid bio father doensnt want anything to do with him so anyone out there has any advice for me:confused:
    The birth father must legally give-up his parental rights and that must be filed with the courts. Then proceed with the latter. More than likely, the birth father will not sign the papers to relinquish his rights. Furthermore, you want to have and may be required to have a commitment (i.e. marriage) with the boyfriend before the courts allow him to adopt your child. That is a great responsibility which once it is done, it becomes forever. Ergo, if the marriage ends, the adopted parent is still financially responsible for the child. (i.e.child support)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2007, 05:44 PM
    I would wait until you are married. It will be much easier then. But as long as the bio fathher is willing to relinquish his rights the courts should agree.

Mar 30, 2007, 05:49 PM
    I really don't no who the bio father is but they no that I had a baby neither of then has asked about him
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Have them each take a paternity test. You should at least be getting child support from one or the other, regardless of whether they give up their rights or not. I agree with ScottGem though, it is easier after marriage..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Yes, you will have to go to famly court and prove who the father is, if you have it down to two or three, And then they will have to sign away their rights, ( and if they don't want anyting to do with the baby and don't want to pay child support this should be no issue)

But they will havve to sign over the rights before he can adopt.

Some states will allow a "partner" not married to adopt, this is new law to allow same sex couples to adopt, but normally in mixed sex relationshiops they are still looking for that marriage license for commitment. And some states will still require the couple to be married
    misshimso55 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2007, 09:53 AM
    I believe that if no man has signed the birth certificate, your boyfriend can and he will be known as the legal/bio father. This of course has to be done through court. He will just admit to being the father and waive his rights to blood/dna tests.
    However, make sure your boyfriend is fully aware that if the 2 of you should break up, he will be legally responsible for the child. Support and all. (at least here in N.Y.)
    Best of luck to you. Kudos to your boyfriend for stepping up and being a real man. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Sorry but not having the father on the birth certificate just means he is not listed, it does not take a single legal right away. And if you have someone lie to the court that they are father then this is fraud and the adoption would not be valid but could easily be challenged in court.

You will have to have the real father sign away his legal rights, esp if you know between a couple who it can be. And there are other ways if you can not locate the real father.

Since of course if the boyfriend was the "real" father, he would not have to adopt, since he is already the father, he would just havve to pass a DNA test for the court.

Mar 31, 2007, 08:23 PM
    OK see that's the thing my boyfriends name is on the birth cert
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Mar 31, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachell21
    ok see thats the thing my boyfriends name is on the birth cert
    Your current boyfriend or the one of the other men? Please clarify as to whom is on the birth certificate.

Mar 31, 2007, 09:03 PM
    My boyfriend is the one on the birth cert and the baby has my boyfriends last name
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2007, 05:11 AM
    If someone swears in court that they are the father when they know they aren't that's perjury. It may not be illegal to sign the birth certificate but attesting in court is different.

The point is that no matter what is on the birth ceritifcate, if the bio father wants to contest it, they can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I do to adopt HDTV? [ 5 Answers ]

I've heard that I will be forced to buy an HD television under federal law? Is that true? What should I do about that? Should I buy some sort of converter? Should I wait until the last minute for prices of stuff to fall? There is a LOT of information about this online, but it's too much,...

Want to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

What would to necessary steps be to adopting a 26 illegal immigrant. He has a tax ID number and has never been in troulble with the law and has been paying taxes for three years. Hes a great man I would like to help... Any ideas!!

Boyfriend to adopt son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to know if anyone knew if I needed my sons real father to sign over his rights for my boyfriend to adopt but here is the thing his real father saw him once the day he came home from the hosptial and my son is now 3 going to be 4 and that was it I don't get any child support from him and...

Can my boyfriend adopt my son [ 2 Answers ]

I have been separated from my husband for 5 years. We have a 4 year old son together. He does pay child support and he is involved but my son does not know him as "daddy" he knows my boyfriend as daddy. My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years and 9months. He has been my sons daddy since...

Looking to adopt... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Interested in finding information regarding domestic and international adoptions in Massachusetts. Do anyone have any recommendations on where to start? Thanks, Remodel

View more questions Search