Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joe Nobles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2013, 01:41 PM
    Moving a Mobile Home
    I own a Mobile Home in Florida. I was told be a mover that my trailer was over ten years old and couldn't be moved and re set up due to a new Florida law. If so please let me know which law it is. Thank you Joe Nobles
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 21, 2013, 03:48 PM
    I just ran a search of the Florida statutes, and couldn't find such a law. Which is not to say it doesn't exist; it can just be very hard to find for someone who is not in the business of moving mobile homes. And it may well be a regulation or local ordinance.

I suggest that you ask the mover if he can cite the chapter and verse of this law.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2013, 11:52 AM
    I also searched for laws or any other references. Found some information that indicates that some movers won't touch older mobile homes. Maybe the person you talked to was actually confusing law with his company's policy.
    Also, information came up to indicate that some parks won't accept older mobile home in their newly opened or recently renovated parks.
    My experience is in highway engineering so I looked at the FL DOT permit application (required for overweight and/or over length loads) which the link indicates was last revised in July 2013. The permit asks for the make of mobile homes but no request for age or year built, so I don't believe there is a law specifying that only mobile homes of a certain age may be moved. However, moves conducted with permits usually require the presence of a DOT inspector or State Police agency inspector/officer, any of which could prevent the move, if they determined that the mobile home was not road worthy.
    Let us know what you find out.
    http://www.fdotmaint.com/PermitNew/B...ev%2007_13.pdf

Edit: After seeing how the description just displayed, I am not certain of the date of the linked permit application. It appeared as 07-13 in the address, there is a date of 07/10 on the applic. form, and now a possible 2007 date. I can only say that it comes from the current FL DOT website.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 04:02 PM
    The form that Smearcase linked to refers to these statutes:

316.550. Operations not in conformity with law; special permits
    334.044. Department; powers and duties

Neither statutory section has anything (that I can see) about the age of a MH.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Not sure of a specific law, but any number of MH communities will not allow moving in of homes older than 10 yrs. He may be referring to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving my mobile home [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can move my 1967 Ritzcraft mobile home legally in the state of Kentucky

Cost moving mobile home [ 9 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what it cost to move a mobile home in Florida?

Can I withhold lot rent on a mobile home if I paid off my mobile home and they won't [ 7 Answers ]

Can I withhold lot rent on a mobile home if I paided off my mobile home and they won't send the title its been 11 months and still no title has been mailed to me despite my request

What is the age of moving a old mobile home [ 1 Answers ]

Need to know the age of moving a older mobile home

Moving a mobile home [ 1 Answers ]

I sold a mobile home approx 90 days ago and the people who bought it have still not moved it I was wondering how long they had by law to move it off my property

View more questions Search